Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Should I buy a jointer or a bandsaw, and maybe a jigsaw?

Thanks for the clarification of what you are buying, Ole. It's nice that they are face jointing for you!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Band saws have a number of advantages: (1) Safest tool in the shop. It is really hard to hurt yourself. (2) Its the only tool for resawing wood to thinner strips. (3) Can be used on wood or metal, rough cut or fine cut. Very versatile tool. Buy a good one at least 14". You can get great deals on old Deltas or Rockwells which run on 120 or 240.

I almost never used my jointer. I buy wood pre jointed and when necessary, grab a long hand plane.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas McCurnin View Post
    Band saws have a number of advantages: (1) Safest tool in the shop. It is really hard to hurt yourself.
    Ah, but don't get too complacent, remember, bandsaws are used by the butcher to cut meat and bone.
    NOW you tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    Ah, but don't get too complacent, remember, bandsaws are used by the butcher to cut meat and bone.
    That's what I was going to say...the perception that the band saw is "safer" is only relative to the operator's best practices. IE..."stuff" happens...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    That's what I was going to say...the perception that the band saw is "safer" is only relative to the operator's best practices. IE..."stuff" happens...
    Very good reason to go with a band saw with a blade brake (like some of the Lagunas or other higher end saws, rather than the older ones.) Like I've mentioned once before, the closest I've ever come to being cut by a saw was resawing on an older Delta without one, many years ago. Looong silent coast-down, especially with hearing protection and a dust collector going in the background.

I've been bitten by nearly every tool in my shop in 50 years of woodworking. The only exceptions are my skill saws, table saws, miter saws and my bandsaw. Now mind you, I've had some serious kickback on my table saw, but always stand to one side and never, ever let my hand get close to the blade. I stand by my statement that the band saw is the safest power saw in my shop. There is no kickback, no binding, no explosive crumbling of wood, and it does not operate with the torque that a table saw does. Short of being stoned and letting your hands fall into the blade, its hard to imagine what could go wrong.

Then again, I am super-aware of safety and extremely paranoid around any power tool. I wish I could be so careful around hand tools, as sharp chisels have drawn more blood from me than I care to admit.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    The jigsaw is not a serious tool for fine woodworking. Even the best of them (Bosch) have issues with tracking over longer cuts, plus the dust collection is poor no matter how you slice it. A decent bandsaw is invaluable, and it would be the first tool I'd buy. Used is your friend, if you have the means to transport it. Get something good, and only cry once.

A jointer would be the next purchase, if you're totally opposed to hand planes (which you shouldn't be.) People talk up sizes wider than 8", but when I get a board wider than that, I just rip it and rejoin it (which has the advantage of increased stability, and the difference in figure matching is IMO negligible.)
    I disagree. I use a jigsaw almost daily in a professional environment. They're especially useful when your bandsaw isnt an industrial sized monster.

I have such a good wife. She told me to proceed with the purchase of both the jointer and bandsaw today. So a trip to Woodcraft resulted in an 8” Powermatic dovetail way jointer with helical heads and a Rikon 14” Deluxe bandsaw. Of course, she gets a trip to New Zealand next year in exchange.

Since we could not easily handle the jointer ourselves and I do not want to risk having some of my buddies drop it, I am having both delivered on Wednesday. They are sssmeblying the jointer and I will do the bandsaw. I think the $125 fee will be money well spent.

Just in time for a four day weekend.