Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: saw tooth setting tool

saw tooth setting tool

I have 3 back saws, some gents saws and a couple of regular standard handsaws. I want to sharpen them and set the teeth. I have seen demos in person on how to do this and have handouts that cover it. Have not done this before, but need to buy a used "tooth setting pliers". There are lots out there on ebay, all somehat old and fairly cheaply priced, my question what should I be looking for? Is there a certain make and model that you use that works better than the rest? Randy

Stanley 42x. I have 2, will be posting one in the classifieds in the next few days.

I know of a fellow that takes an old Stanley #60 type chisel...and cuts a slot that just fits onto the tooth. A quick up or down on the handle...move to the next tooth....

Blog Entries
    The Stanley #42X works fine for me. One of mine has the plunger modified by filing for smaller teeth.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

42X user here too. I have two. One modified for small teeth. I used another version of the 42, I think a 42W, that I bought new in the early '70s for a long time before I ever had a 42X in my hands. Over the years, I've accumulated a box full of different types, including a couple of large ones for 2-man saws. Some prefer other types, like the Somax, but my preference is the 42X that grabs the saw plate before it engages the tooth. It's been years since I needed to stone the side of any tooth.

42x has worked well for me too. The auction site is one source, Patrick Leach has one for sale fairly regularly as well.

What are these things actually called? And what does the X stand for? Seems to be unanimous.... thanks.

Randall, it is called a “saw set”. The 42x is a dual action set...clamps the plate before bending the tooth. There is an older thread on the subject....

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....ular-vs-X-vs-W

There were a number of different models using the number 42, for some reason. The "X" was just one particular model, and the only one that clamped onto the saw plate before bending the tooth. The later models simplified the design, I guess making them cheaper to produce, by eliminating the clamping mechanism.

Took a good look at my old backsaws today, boy those teeth are small, I count about 12 tpi. Think I'm going to have to get some kind of magnifing gizmo to see what I'm filing and setting. I'll pick up a 42x off ebay, lots there.... Thanks all for the info. Randy

A bright, movable light helps a lot. I like to set it so a freshly filed tooth shines back at me. I file pretty fast, with one hand, so clearly seeing which is the next tooth helps a lot, to eliminate hunting.

My personal preference are the vintage Eclipse #77 saw sets.

http://benchblog.com/2013/12/eclipse-77-saw-sets/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Randall J Cox View Post
    Took a good look at my old backsaws today, boy those teeth are small, I count about 12 tpi. Think I'm going to have to get some kind of magnifing gizmo to see what I'm filing and setting. I'll pick up a 42x off ebay, lots there.... Thanks all for the info. Randy
    Dykem blue is helpful when filing, especially with small teeth, as it makes it very easy to see the work as done. It cleans off with alcohol. An extra fine sharpie can help with setting by marking every other on both sides.

Michaels Arts & Crafts carry clip on magnifiers. Usually in the fabric crafting area. Sometimes a pair of readers is worn over my bifocals to help.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Randall,

Sent you a PM.

For anyone interested, Patrick Leach has a 42x in his latest list.
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"