Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Exterior Door

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Walsh View Post
    I'm finally getting back to this door project (!) and was able to get the old finishes stripped, wasn't as much of a hassle as I expected. From the comments in the thread and some additional reading, I'm leaning towards using the Cetol Door & Window product for the new finish. From what I've seen the Cetol pigmented versions offer best durability, but the door was originally stained with Minwax cherry - no cherry pigment option for Cetol. Question - does it make sense to try to re-stain the stripped door with the original color (Minwax cherry) before applying the Cetol and i'm thinking the Mahogany color may be best over a cherry stained door?
    I don't think staining it before applying Cetol would be a good idea. I think Cetol is meant to be applied directly to the raw wood. I would try the Mahogany on some scrap of the same type wood to see if multiple coats will give you the color you want. The hue changes the more coats you apply and you are supposed to apply a minimum of 3.

John

Exterior door - update

based on the last few suggestions I didn't try to restain the door. After a few more sessions of stripping, scraping, sanding washing I got the first coat of Cetol mahogany on the door today and am very happy with the outcome. Attached pics sow the final state of the stripped door and first Cetol coat while it was still wet. Thanks to everyone for your help and here's hoping that after a few more coats this will last a good long time!

IMG_0942.jpgIMG_0943.jpg

Really nice rejuvination going there!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Mike, that's looking really good. All your hard work is paying off.

John

Thanks Jim and John. The Cetol product has also been very easy to use, flows nicely and covers well

that looks great! I may have to go with that color next time on mine.

Yes, it truly is amazing stuff. You can put on a spray quality finish with nothing more than a good quality brush. Even better, it's very durable.

John

put the second coat on yesterday after a very light sanding, still looks good and we're also very happy with the color