Thread: Poplar Storage Box

Poplar Storage Box

Decided to build a few small boxes, to stack on a shelf, to hold extras in the shop,,,like hole saws, screwdrivers, Tap & Die sets....
    Also, since some of my fancier planes have their own storage box, wanted to try and make a few that go along with them..so..
    Poplar Box Project 4.JPG
    Just under 12" long, by just over 5" tall..
    Poplar Box Project, Project post 5.JPG
    By about 6" front to back. Panels for the top of the lid, and bottom of the box are 5mm Luann Plywood. Leftovers from a desk project.
    Corner joints are 1/4" finger/box joints, sawn by hand, and chisel out the waste..Plywood sits in 1/4" grooves, done with a Stanley 45...which also allowed me to split off the lid
    Poplar Box Project, open the lid.JPG
    Handles and other hardware were attached..
    Poplar Box Project, project post 3.JPG
    Wood is 1/2" x 5-1/2" Poplar...sold as "Project Boards" at Lowes. Brass "feet" came from Menard's.
    Poplar Box Project, project post 1.JPG
    Rest of the hardware came from Hobby Lobby...
    Finish is a Stain called "Gunstock", then 2 coats of clear gloss poly...

May add a board on the inside, to store a few items..
    Can of saws, 1.JPG
    My Dad used old coffee cans to store stuff in...Also, will need to add a label holder, so I can tell what is in each box...
    Poplar Box Project, project post 1.JPG
    Just a Poplar box, nothing fancy...

Could you explain how to split off the lid using a Stanley. I have a 45 that was my wife’s great grandfather’s. Just never taken, figured out how to use it, the time to figure it out. Do you plow a groove on the inside and then cut the out side after assembly to leave the small lip on the inside bottom and outside top? Charles

There is an inside groove milled before the glue up..
    Poplar Box Project, lid groove.JPG
    Box is then assembled, and glued up. Once the glue is dried...an outside groove is milled..
    Poplar Box Project, short grooves.JPG
    Outside groove is below the inside groove, with a slight overlap. Then run a knife around the top of the outside groove, to split the lid off....then trim for a decent fit
    Poplar Box Project, Lip adjuster.JPG
    On mine, the lip was a bit too thick, I adjusted the 45 ( added a cam rest) and trimmed all the way around...checked for fit, had one small stretch that I somehow missed...trimmed that
    Poplar Box Project, corner view.JPG
    seems to fit nicely enough. I used the same cutter (#12?) I used for the 1/4" wide grooves for the top and bottom plywood panels..
    The cam rest is there to prevent my tipping the plane to that side. Also used both depth stops...main for the inside grooves, then the one for the outside groove was on the sliding stock/skate, as the main was out in mid-air.

Thank you. Nice explanation and the pictures are wonderful. Thanks! I just need to get it out and see if I have all those accessories. Charles

Thanks for sharing. That stain is a very interesting color. I would never think poplar could look that good.