Thread: A Beautiful Endangered Wood

Blog Entries

A Beautiful Endangered Wood

The person making this video is quite knowledgeable on the geology and botany of the area of the video.

His ability to offer narration without the use of some, shall we say coarse, language is lacking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tpWrX-XlBQ

This used to be one of my favorite hiking areas when living in the San Francisco bay area.

There are some interesting features in the area. There is a type of evergreen oak, bay oak, that grows in the area and does well. The regular oak in the area has a rather stunted growth. There are a few old oaks standing not much over 6 to 10' tall.

The Oakland Manzanita has an amazingly beautiful color when the bark peels every year.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Here is a screen shot of a burl at the base of a small stand of the manzanita:

Burl Screen Shot.jpg

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Manzanita is awesome. I grew up hiking in the Sierras and it's one of my favorite shrubs. Another one with really cool bark from those areas is Madrone.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep