Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3-phase old dewalt radial arm

That's a good point Bill
    I suppose this would either loosen off the arbor nut,which I've heard plenty of times, or tighten it too much I guess.

Has this been known to happen, about VFD's malfunctioning and making motors run backwards?

Thanks
    Tom

Thank you all for the information here. Between this thread and a few on other boards, I researched rotary and static phase converters in addition to VFD's. I landed on the VFD, ordered up a 7.5kW 10HP unit. Fortunately at my work we have a few guys that have rigged table saws, bandsaws, vehicle lifts, and a few other items in a similar matter, and pointed me toward the particular unit I ordered. Arrival is imminent, and I will post photos on my progress for interested parties. Removal of the motor junction box revealed a single set of wires, so it would seem it came from DeWalt in 1944 as a 240V setup. The VFD I selected will allow me to use the factory buttons on the saw as the control trigger, so I'll post on that as well. Hopefully when I'm done, so long as one does not peek behind the curtain at the giant box with der Blinkenbuttons (Es is nicht für fingergepoken.) all should look like it did from the factory.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Trees View Post
    That's a good point Bill
    I suppose this would either loosen off the arbor nut,which I've heard plenty of times, or tighten it too much I guess.

Has this been known to happen, about VFD's malfunctioning and making motors run backwards?

Thanks
    Tom
    It is not a failure. Just that all VFDs can run a motor in reverse if you push the reverse button or if it is wired wrong on the first startup. But they should all have a programmable way to prevent the reverse function from working. Actually if it is wired backwards you just tell the vfd that reverse is now forwards there is no need to physically switch the wiring to the motor.
    Bill D
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 10-04-2019 at 9:47 AM.