Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Staining No. 2 Yellow Pine (aka Knotty Pine)

With the pine, I brushed, dabbed with rags, and used a staining sponge. None of these worked very well with the water based dye.

The problem is that pine is so diverse in terms of its density and some parts naturally soak up more color than other parts. This is true even with pre-stain wood conditioner. The slightest drip will be darker and the edges of the dye applied with dabbing rags or sponges show lapping marks. The dabbing rags or sponges have to be very dry, just barely moist, to apply an even color. Granted rubbing out the dye with some damp cloths fix some of the imperfections, but honestly for me, water based dye and pine did not work out very well.

The gel stain is working better, as it is thicker and simply isn't absorbed into the grain of the pine. I can tint water based gel stain. So the difference is minimal.
    Regards,

Tom

Final Update:

A light coat of gel stain tinted with orange and brown transtint over pre-stain wood conditioner to give the boards an orange-brown tone. Then to simulate age, 10-15 drops of honey amber transtint per quart of poly. Applied the stain with a foam sponge on horizontally laid boards and wiped it down. I let it dry for at least 24 hours, then 5 coats of water based poly, again tinted with transtint, applied with a foam brush.

The whole process only took two days, once I got the formula and technique dialed in. I completed wasted four days with applying water based dye to the pine test boards with inconsistent results.

I'll take the stock up to the cabin this weekend and start nailing it in.

Thanks to all who responded.
    Regards,

Tom

Sounds like a good solution.