Thread: Refinishing shellac with a wax finish

Refinishing shellac with a wax finish

So I’ve finished the first of two arts and crafts style rockers using Paul Sellers plan. I finished it with shellac and a coat of johnson wax. The chairs go on my covered and screened porch. The chairs don’t get directly rained on but I’ve noticed some black staining creeping in on the back side of the chair that occasionally gets a little rain splatter if it comes down really hard. I plan to use poly on the second. Can I recoat the shellac and wax on the first chair with polyurethane?

Yes, but only after you first remove the wax. Lots of mineral spirits or naptha and fresh rags, multi times. Then I would first spray it with a coat of rattle can shellac to make sure the poly will stick. You might think about using an exterior rated varnish, too, instead of a poly for interior furniture.

John

Shellac is an interior finish which isn't very water resistant. Shellac is also too hard for exterior use. Wood outdoors expands and contracts a lot more than in a climate controlled environment so it tends to get cracks in it that allow water to get to the wood. This is what is causing the black. I would recommend cleaning the wax off with a wax and grease remover and apply a coat of a marine grade spar varnish over the top.

Thanks for the advice.