Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steam Bending Cherry

Blog Entries
    If all you have in kiln-dried, then try soaking the part overnight before steaming. Believe it or not, it really makes a difference in the result!

Mike

I had wondered about doing this. The wetter wood should transfer heat to the center much quicker.
    Thanks for the confirmation !
    You only need 2 tools in life. If it's supposed to move and doesn't... use WD40. If it moves and shouldn't... use duct tape.

I make my steam box out of foam sheet. Easy to make different shapes depending on what I'm bending.

P1030770.JPG

P1040014.JPG

And use long deck screws to hold it together. Works very well
    Good luck with your project,

Tim

Sorry that last picture should not be there. I can't seem to get rid of it
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice set up Tim.
    No sealant of any kind on the joints? I wonder if silicone would work on the foil faced stuff.
    You only need 2 tools in life. If it's supposed to move and doesn't... use WD40. If it moves and shouldn't... use duct tape.

Quote Originally Posted by James Tibbetts View Post
    Nice set up Tim.
    No sealant of any kind on the joints? I wonder if silicone would work on the foil faced stuff.
    Thanks James,
    No, I didn't use any sealant, just the screws. No harm trying though. My only concern would be if the heat might effect the holding power of the sealant.
    By the way, the lids were not screwed on. I just put some weight on them to keep them in place.

Tim

James
    Bending in two directions is more challenging but it can really improve the end product. Two approaches;

Make a form that accomplishes it in one steaming. Not so hard when you think it thru. Steaming twice into different froms will fail as the first bend will mostly uncoil in the second steaming.

Steam in one plane and saw in the other, which to do first is best determined by practice.

I have a picture in my head of the form to bend both directions, which I agree takes the final product up a notch or two.
    The two way bend requires a second form that mirror images the first. Shouldn't be a big deal once the first one is correct.
    I'm very much looking forward to this as a challenge and a learning experience.

It may be better to make a concave form. You could start with a big hunk of wood, maybe a 4 x 6. Bandsaw the first curve. Curf some thick plywood so it will bend and tack it to the 4 x 6. Draw the second curve. Untack it and cut, retack. Add layers as needed. Glue all that together. Don't want it to slip. Make some places on the back for your clamps to land. Now make some small cauls for the clamps, these should have notches and angled backs for applying force at an angle. Label them. There will be a lot of cauls and clamps so you may want an extra pair of hands for the big minute.

This could all be the same if you did a bent lamination except you'd add package tape to prevent gluing things together.