Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another computer question.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Strauss View Post
    The problem may be your Internet Explorer browser. I seem to remember that the last version of IE compatible with XP would no longer access the internet with many providers. You may need to download Chrome on another PC and load it to this PC
    no luck with chrome either. thanks.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    To check if it's a DNS problem you could input this number in your browser address bar: https://172.217.10.110. That's the ip address for google.com. If that works DNS is not happy. If it doesn't you may have something else going on. Incidentally there are free operating systems that work pretty well on XP era computers and are supported.
    Thanks, it would not connect using that ip address.

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    I haven't fully read all the responses, if this has been covered, my aplogies...

Open a command prompt (click START/RUN/ type 'command') then type IPCONFIG and enter...

if you get 192.168.xx.xx then your router HAS issued your computer an IP address-

However, if you get 0.0.0.0, you're TCP-IP stuff isn't setup correctly- I'm in a time crunch at the moment or I'd continue, sorry- I'll be back, in the meantime, IF you're getting 0's, maybe someone can help with that in the meantime...
    Thanks, the laptop has been assigned an ip address and i can ping it from another computer.

Just stabbing in the dark here, apologies if you've been thru this --

try this:
    Click on these:
    Control Panel (Classic view if not already in classic view)
    Network Connections
    Local Area Connection
    Properties button
    ---- you should get something that looks like this:

-- Do you have all of these in this list? Especially the Internet Protocol?
    ...if so, highlight like mine and hit "Properties"...

Mine is setup fully automatic, so it's essentially blank:

Using the command prompt and the ipconfig command will 'fill in the blanks'...

-- If yours looks like mine, you should be able to connect to the internet. If anything's missing, it'll need fixing
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Actuallly that's only half true- What's not supported is AUTOMATIC updates... Microsoft has still releases regular updates for XP; 639 updates in 2018, 366 so far this year. XP users must hit Microsoft's update catalog and download them manually...
    To quote the wikipedia page for XP (you should correct it if it's wrong):

Beyond the final security updates released on April 8 [2014] no more security patches or support information are provided for XP free-of-charge; "critical patches" will still be created, and made available only to customers subscribing to a paid "Custom Support" plan. As it is a Windows component, all versions of Internet Explorer for Windows XP also became unsupported.

So there. Once again, don't be an easy target, and don't encourage other people to be an easy target.

I liked XP, sort-of, but 7 was a better OS. I wish they made something so good now; alas, even support for that is scheduled to end next year. Change is hard.

Just say, stack-ranking sucks. Etc.

Just stabbing in the dark here, apologies if you've been thru this --

Using the command prompt and the ipconfig command will 'fill in the blanks'...

-- If yours looks like mine, you should be able to connect to the internet. If anything's missing, it'll need fixing
    Use "ipconfig /all" (instead of just "ipconfig"), and it will also show what DNS servers are in play. It would also be helpful if we could see how to do this on an iPad to compare the one that works with the one that doesn't.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    To quote the wikipedia page for XP (you should correct it if it's wrong):

Beyond the final security updates released on April 8 [2014] no more security patches or support information are provided for XP free-of-charge; "critical patches" will still be created, and made available only to customers subscribing to a paid "Custom Support" plan. As it is a Windows component, all versions of Internet Explorer for Windows XP also became unsupported.

So there. Once again, don't be an easy target, and don't encourage other people to be an easy target.

I liked XP, sort-of, but 7 was a better OS. I wish they made something so good now; alas, even support for that is scheduled to end next year. Change is hard.

Just say, stack-ranking sucks. Etc.
    Here's the webpage, with 2019 updates, I just searched "XP 2019 updates... https://www.catalog.update.microsoft...updates%202019
    -- anyone who's charging for these downloads is probably breaking the law...

-note the page that comes up is just #1 of 15. I just call 'em as I see 'em.
    I'm not encouraging, nor am I discouraging the use of XP. Myself, I HAVE to use XP, certain programs I rely heavily on simply won't work on a non-DOS based computer.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

I sure do miss OS/2.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

If true, you are the only one. I believe that the other guy died a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    I sure do miss OS/2.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Drackman View Post
    If true, you are the only one. I believe that the other guy died a few years ago.
    Committed suicide out of loneliness, as I recall.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.