Thread: Simple table saw above blade dust collection?

Simple table saw above blade dust collection?

Over the past few weeks ive been looking into adding DC over the blade of my table saw, but I keep thinking that most of the solutions I’ve seen will be in the way so frequently that I don’t know if it’s worth it. For instance, if I want to make a thin rip I just want to do it and I have to re-position for different things and then have it be in the way and possibly be a safety hazard.

So I’ve been trying to think of a simple solution where I could literally just push it out-of-the-way and move it into place when needed. What do you all think of using this type of hose, typically used for a drill press, and the hood from Penn State?
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm using this Grizzly T10113 - Universal Overarm Blade Guard For Table Saws. I can lift the hood higher off the blade if it might get in the way or I can release the arm lock and literally push the arm away by 90 degrees. Ever so I'm considering replacing/augmenting the hood section with a Shark Guard because I want the built-in riving knife. I can then just use the arm for the DC connection or reinstall the hood if a particular operation would be better with it over the Shark Guard. Overall I'm happy with ,y selection.

t10113-b85c2d657e1ea91e129ef8e2d0aa1641.jpg

Tom, I’ve looked at all of those. My shop setup with my RT in the right table doesn’t allow for that type, which is why I’m going with a ceiling mounted.

Matt, what you propose will likely work as long as the "wiggly hose" thingie can properly support the weight of that hood over time. It's actually a great idea and I'm interested in seeing it work successfully because it could very well be a usable solution for my slider with the slanted ceiling over head from the stairwell.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim,
    I’ve used the loc-line hose before on a DP table a couple years ago, and recall it being quite stiff, at least in a short section. I think it would be nice to be able to place the hood wherever I want it and make a cut, rather than fiddling with a left/right and forward/back knobs.
    I’m researching it and will probably call loc-line and discuss.

I think it will come down to the weight of the hood and whether or not the "joinery" in the Loc-Line is stiff enough to resist movement from ... gravity. You don't want that thing lowering automajically while you are cutting something for sure. If it's stable...it's a really nice solution. If it's almost there, perhaps some form of auxiliary support from the ceiling could be employed to further insure it stays where you put it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Here’s what I use:

https://youtu.be/DA-O-1qUDh4

I saw that video actually, nice build Mark.

I think I would be worried about the time the pipe deflects just enough for the blade to catch the guard.. I have the excalaber on my slider and works great.

I talked to the folks at loc line and they said it should work for sure with new pipe, but that it might fatigue over time. I might have to make a safety of some kind or possibly support the weight with a spring or something inside the tube.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    I saw that video actually, nice build Mark.
    Thanks Matt- I built one like the one in the video but that wasn’t mine, if that’s what you meant.

Matt, I did see this video that had something similar...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGu0-rEW2Ac