Thread: Disintegrated Festool Sanding Pad

Disintegrated Festool Sanding Pad

Anyone ever have this happen? I purchased a new soft/extra soft pad for my ETS 150, bolted it on, and began sanding some parts for my rocker. About 45 seconds later, my hand was shaking a lot from excess vibration. Thought it was strange, so i stopped the sander and tightened down the allen bolt. Sanded another two spindles with same levels of vibration. I then noticed my shirt and shorts were covered in white specs of rubber. The sanding pad foam is separating from the mounting plate. Were some of these pads defective and i didnt know about it, or am i supposed to operate them exclusively on a slower speed? In about two minutes of sanding this thing has destroyed itself.
    Attached Images Attached Images

This condition is very typical of Festool sanding pads. The subject of self destruction over time, even when barely used, has been widely reported on the Festool owners group forum. My 20 year old PC sanding pad is still going strong but I do have a Festool RO90 and am just waiting for the same thing to happen.

There is a good possibility that the "new" pad you purchased could have been older stock which self destructs on the shelf. Try contacting the dealer that you purchased it from to see if they'll replace it.
    Last edited by Dick Mahany; 09-23-2019 at 12:47 PM.
    Dick Mahany.

They will send out a new one. Never had this problem in 12 years though

I've been using Festool ROS sanders for twenty years now, and have never had a sanding pad disintegrate like yours. Festool should replace it without any complaint.

Its odd, because i had a hard pad for the ETS for maybe 18 months before the velcro went. No issues with the foam. Then, i had a hard pad on my older discontinued Rotex 150 go(velcro again), that was the old school 5-6 hole pattern and not the multi stream, so i know that pad was old. Once again the foam was fine, but the hook and loop stopped holding. This is my first experience with a non-hard pad. Strange experience, im guessing it has another 5-10 mins of use before the whole thing separates and flies across the room.

I've worn them out, but never had one come apart like that new or even after long use. You very well could have received a defective unit. Since it's new, just ask them to replace it.

And...a soft pad is a lot more delicate than the medium (standard) and hard pad. Be gentle and don't be pressing down hard when you use it. Let the sander do the work.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...