Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: shop cart

shop cart

I have been trying to search the forum for a cart that was discussed here earlier this year that supported sheet goods, doors etc. on one point. I can't remember what it was called

Likely the MFSC by Timothy Wilmots

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...Xd4yGceeptSGt6

If that's the one you are interested in, I have a mostly completed one that could be available to you if you didn't mind the travel. I intended to use it in my shop, but then bought my CNC machine, leaving no room to actually use the cart. I didn't do a bunch of the final steps, but have all the parts, AFAIK.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 09-23-2019 at 9:10 AM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The "Crazy Horse Dolly" is what I was seeking - Richard gets the prize - Thanks Richard and Jim

! 1025 × 816
    Last edited by Bradley Gray; 09-23-2019 at 10:31 AM.

The "Crazy Horse Dolly" is what I was seeking - Richard gets the prize - Thanks Richard and Jim

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><>

Bradley, Do you need my address?

Glad I could help... If you get one let me know how you like it as I was thinking about getting one.

Richard
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Likely the MFSC by Timothy Wilmots

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...Xd4yGceeptSGt6

If that's the one you are interested in, I have a mostly completed one that could be available to you if you didn't mind the travel. I intended to use it in my shop, but then bought my CNC machine, leaving no room to actually use the cart. I didn't do a bunch of the final steps, but have all the parts, AFAIK.
    Jim, not to crash this thread, but how hard was this to build and what would the approximate cost be now?
    I watched some of Timothy's builds in the past and talk about MAJOR shop envy. Can't believe that he's gotten out of woodworking and back to farming.
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

Wow, I remember seeing the Crazy Horse Dolly a long time ago and thinking it was kinda silly and never looked further into. Checking it out now and seeing that he's "closing the doors" I cant believe he was getting $95 for a threaded rod with a plastic dome on the end and some metal tubing, a knob and a set of plans. Seems like it should have been about half that cost.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rivel View Post
    Wow, I remember seeing the Crazy Horse Dolly a long time ago and thinking it was kinda silly and never looked further into. Checking it out now and seeing that he's "closing the doors" I cant believe he was getting $95 for a threaded rod with a plastic dome on the end and some metal tubing, a knob and a set of plans. Seems like it should have been about half that cost.
    If you believe he should make nothing for inventing it or designing it. Sheesh

If you think the crazy horse is expensive, dont look at the barth/felder panel tilt add on feature or the FAT 300 and 500. I think the panel tilt option is $1,000 on its own, not to mention the price of the table.

I wish i could use any of these carts in my basement shop. Way too tight to maneuver, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Jensen View Post
    If you believe he should make nothing for inventing it or designing it. Sheesh
    Didnt say what I "believed", just thought it looked like something anyone could make themselves for a few bucks. I mean as it is all the rest of the design is done by the "user".
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Well, I thought the price was okay - I ordered the kit today.

Richard, I will add to this when I get it up and running.

The crazy horse site is down to a couple dozen kits and will shut down when they are gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Kane View Post
    If you think the crazy horse is expensive, dont look at the barth/felder panel tilt add on feature or the FAT 300 and 500.
    Believe it or not, they sell hand-over-fist. I just took an order for two for a local customer's shop. Had never used a lifting table before I came back on board but now, can't get by without one. BTW, it would be really easy to DIY the top for a FAT300.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley Gray View Post
    Well, I thought the price was okay - I ordered the kit today.

Richard, I will add to this when I get it up and running.

The crazy horse site is down to a couple dozen kits and will shut down when they are gone.
    Bradley, I suspect you'll like it. I use mine frequently.

I'm a cheapskate a lot of the time and I sure don't agree with the "too expensive" line of thinking. The "knob" I recognized as the same as a T-Jak used for cabinet installation. Replacements are $29 on their site. The "plastic" is actually rubber, made by inventor and is not something one could find off-the-shelf. Kinda sad to see him close the doors. I have several tools designed by craftsmen and borne of better mousetrap thinking. I'd buy again in a heartbeat.

There was a thread some time ago with several variations.

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?271034-Crazy-Horse-dolly&p=2887150#post2887150
    Last edited by Peter Rawlings; 09-23-2019 at 7:50 PM.

I own my shop and tools and property and I still need to charge $40 an hour to keep the doors open. $95 for the parts and plans saves me a ton of time not even accounting for the time to design the thing, come up with the right rubber, etc - seems like a deal to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Schoenthal View Post
    Jim, not to crash this thread, but how hard was this to build and what would the approximate cost be now?
    I watched some of Timothy's builds in the past and talk about MAJOR shop envy. Can't believe that he's gotten out of woodworking and back to farming.
    Timothy had a pdf set of instructions on his web site for ~$30 - quite straightforward to follow. Figure 2 sheets of Baltic birch, 4 casters, about 10 bd. ft. of beech or similar. I bought a Festool MFT replacement top for ~$145; my total came to around $350. If you have the means to accurately space the dog holes, you could make your own top for much less.
    -- Jim

Use the right tool for the job.