Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: shop cart

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Schoenthal View Post
    Jim, not to crash this thread, but how hard was this to build and what would the approximate cost be now?
    I watched some of Timothy's builds in the past and talk about MAJOR shop envy. Can't believe that he's gotten out of woodworking and back to farming.
    Generally pretty easy to build if you follow the instructions Timothy provides with the plans. It's really just material cost (some quality plywood plus MDF for the top and good quality larger casters. And yea, that was a big change he made. But honestly, the family farm is MASSIVE and I'm betting he's making a better living than he was making jewelers benches!

----
    Bradley, that Crazy Horse dolly is a really neat setup. If I had a larger, more open shop, no question I'd have one for sure.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

"I cant believe he was getting $95 for a threaded rod with a plastic dome on the end and some metal tubing, a knob and a set of plans. Seems like it should have been about half that cost."

Sorry to hear Larry is closing out the product- I find mine incredibly useful. The sticky rubber dome is what makes it work so well, and the guy needed to be compensated for coming up with the concept, developing it, stocking parts, shipping, marketing, all the things that make a business go. I imagine that given a small volume he wasn't charging enough!

We make "crazy horses" from old office chairs and scrap tubing. I prefer them over almost any cart for most of my bulky material handling.

I recently purchased the FELDER FAT 300 lift table and made my own top for it. It is a great addition to my shop and is great for moving heavy lumber/sheet goods from my truck to the shop, from storage to my saw, serves as great infeed/outfeed table for jointer, bandsaw or drum sander. I also use it for a workbench/assembly table and totally love being able to vary the height based on what I am working on. It’s not inexpensive but it is worth it to me.

8C164A31-18CA-433B-B0B6-CC5BDA921B50.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    We make "crazy horses" from old office chairs and scrap tubing. I prefer them over almost any cart for most of my bulky material handling.
    Would you mind sharing some pictures? Thx

I will be 77 in a couple weeks, have lots of injuries, and I need all the help I can get. I just ordered one. It just about did me in putting a sheet of melamine on the saw by myself a couple days ago, and that's using a shop cart. Just getting it on the shop cart was tough.

Edit: Johnny, the idea of using an old office chair is great also. If I was still allowed to weld, I would use it (pacemaker).
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 09-24-2019 at 3:45 AM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley Gray View Post
    Well, I thought the price was okay - I ordered the kit today.

Richard, I will add to this when I get it up and running.

The crazy horse site is down to a couple dozen kits and will shut down when they are gone.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Bradley thanks for letting me know about them shutting down as I just ordered one as well. Larry is a nice guy if you talk to him. He stated that he is just concentrating on his cabinet shop as these have been too much work and not enough money for what he has to do to market them and such.
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

From a customer’s shop I just visited earlier today. Not shilling for our own stuff but “if” you need a lifting table and the krazy horse won’t do it for you, I can’t see how anyone could DIY or fab something better than these fat tables for anywhere near the price. Customer ordered them sight-unseen and commented how beefy they are in real life.

Erik

F286BFA8-AF94-4397-AB1D-1054D1EEFE1B.jpg
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    From a customer’s shop I just visited earlier today. Not shilling for our own stuff but “if” you need a lifting table and the krazy horse won’t do it for you, I can’t see how anyone could DIY or fab something better than these fat tables for anywhere near the price. Customer ordered them sight-unseen and commented how beefy they are in real life.

Erik

F286BFA8-AF94-4397-AB1D-1054D1EEFE1B.jpg
    Sorry, $1600 for the table, an additional $6-800 for the top? I imagine this is capable of lifting heavier loads than Timothy Willets' MFSC, but costs 4-5 times as much and doesn't appear to be nearly as versatile. YMMV.
    Last edited by Jim Morgan; 10-03-2019 at 10:49 PM.
    -- Jim

Use the right tool for the job.

Hi,
    Upon learning from this thread that the Crazy Horse was being discontinued, I got in on one and put it together last week. One sheet good delivery later, and I can say it's a game changer. What an ingenious device.

At first, like others, I thought it would take up too much floor space in my small shop, but life is all about prioritizing, and after ditching some clutter, it has a home. I undercut a heavy door a couple of days ago and using the dolly, navigated it through a house by myself with the precision of a surgeon.

Sam Blasco has a video showing how he uses one as a rolling outrigger for cutting sheet goods on a sliding saw. Sorry the inventor couldn't build a sufficient market for it. He seems like a responsive, good guy.

image2.jpeg

I got mine together 2 weeks ago. I planed some 8/4 slabs 20" x 10' Monday and used the dolly transfer to/from jointer and planer out-feed to in-feed. No backache!

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Santos View Post
    Hi,
    Upon learning from this thread that the Crazy Horse was being discontinued, I got in on one and put it together last week. One sheet good delivery later, and I can say it's a game changer. What an ingenious device.

At first, like others, I thought it would take up too much floor space in my small shop, but life is all about prioritizing, and after ditching some clutter, it has a home. I undercut a heavy door a couple of days ago and using the dolly, navigated it through a house by myself with the precision of a surgeon.

Sam Blasco has a video showing how he uses one as a rolling outrigger for cutting sheet goods on a sliding saw. Sorry the inventor couldn't build a sufficient market for it. He seems like a responsive, good guy.

image2.jpeg
    Edwin, I ended up getting one also but have not cut it out and assembled it yet. Can I ask how much longer did you extended the two sides of the base for moving sheet goods on edge?

Thanks Richard
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley Gray View Post
    I got mine together 2 weeks ago. I planed some 8/4 slabs 20" x 10' Monday and used the dolly transfer to/from jointer and planer out-feed to in-feed. No backache!
    Bradley, just wondering if you extended your base for sheet stock on edge as well and what size you made yours?

Thanks Richard
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

I built the cart exactly from the patterns in the kit. I did use stem type casters which stick up through the plywood a bit and I have moved partial ply sheets resting on the tops of the stems and leaning on the top. I don't think my shop would do well with a bigger base.

Quote Originally Posted by richard poitras View Post
    Edwin, I ended up getting one also but have not cut it out and assembled it yet. Can I ask how much longer did you extended the two sides of the base for moving sheet goods on edge?

Thanks Richard
    Richard,
    I built my base as designed. You'll see I used plate casters and a shop made wood bushing in one bolt of two pairs of casters. This gives me space for three sheets on edge on each side, using the dolly like an A frame dolly. This is more than enough for my needs.
    If I had used single stem casters, the bushing would have located a little closer to the edge, hence maybe room for four sheets per side?

Also I built the supports as designed, which is 12" wide. If you wanted a little more room for sheets on edge, you could experiment with supports sized at 11" or even 10" which would give more space if you needed it. I cannot see that it would affect the stability.

The other day, I moved a sheet standing up on the 48" edge and it was perfectly stable.

I hope this helps.