Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Scary Shaper

My big one is 235mm diameter and maxes out at 6000rpm, but the smaller one is 165mm and will go up to 7500RPM.
    https://shorturl.at/mRTU3

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    I have some 10k rpm panel raisers . Are you saying that in the context of this thread a 10k rpm panel raiser is normal? If that's the case I'm missing something. A lot of small spindle machines wont even hit 10k and at least in my experience to hit 10k inset or Brazed on a panel raiser your talking money. I'm not talking about the time we worked in a shop enjoying someone else's checkbook. I'm talking about your own machine, your own tooling, and your (and your wife and childrens) checkbook lol.
    Mark
    No, I don't think you're missing anything. Those/these, cutters are 100mm cutters, maybe 115mm. Small by commercial standards.
    I have some Amana groovers, and they're 100mm dia, The Freeborn and Bosch cabinet sets I have are just over 75mm dia. I have a bunch of profile cutters at 55-60mm.dia. The Amana reversible glue joint I have is probably 60-65mm. Theses are all brazed and top out 9K-10Krpm max.
    The panel raisers I have are 115-120mm, and those are definitely not spinning at 10K.I run them at 7K. Generally my machine is set to run at 7K. It only has two speeds, 7K and 10K rpm.
    I think that's about all my shaper, 3HP Delta 43-375, can be expected to handle. Anything bigger, or heavier, is going to have be aluminum.If it's steel, that's a lot of rotating mass, which is going to wear out those light duty spindle bearing prematurely.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 09-29-2019 at 10:08 PM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Mass isn't going to wear out the spindle bearings. Not being in perfect balance will though.