Thread: Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

23 Sep 2019

Greetings,
    This past week I got some things done around the house, worked at the day job and attended my youngest son's U.S. Army AIT training graduation ceremony. Here's the proof pic:
    Daniel_Dennis.jpg

Continued work on the sander rebuild and I'm gearing up for a lot of work in the shop to fill orders from family and friends.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past week?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Congratulations on your son's achievement, Dennis!

Busy week last week...large black walnut table top project for a client moved along, did some CNC works for the same client and a new guitar design got cut. A few other odds and ends transpired and I'm considering a potential change to something in my shop to better suit how I'm working now. More of the same this week.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Very nice Dennis, please pass my congratulations on to your son.

I hosted a format saw and shaper seminar on Saturday at Felder, Sunday I drove to Montreal for work with a stop in Ottawa so we could visit our oldest daughter.....Regards, Rod.

Tell your son congratulations.

I worked on my table saw drop table. Integrated a router into it finally. Been wanting to do this for years.IMG_20190914_062251282.jpgIMG_20190914_062301356.jpgIMG_20190922_165937984.jpgIMG_20190922_170115123.jpg

I also finished my cutting board flattening sled.IMG_20190914_142841740.jpg

Congrats Dennis!

This coming weekend is a long weekend in Australia, and my wife and I are flying to Sydney to spend a few days with our 26 year old son, who moved there a little over a year ago with his girlfriend. He had taken along with him a few pieces of furniture I had built, including a chest of drawers I made for him when he was 10. Understandably, he has a strong sentimental attachment to it. This was taken at the time ...

The base was broken during the move, which devastated him, and so over the weekend I made another, which will fly with us. (The last visit I brought along a coffee table in knock-down form).

The other piece I completed on the weekend was a new Moxon dovetail vise. This has a number if refinements ...

The full details are here: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMad...LastMoxon.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

Congrats to your son! And to proud pop!

Not much ww last week; continued working outside. I finally got around to boxing in our close-to-ground-level deck to keep out larger critters. We've had muskrats, possum, raccoons, cats, and a skunk or two take up residence under there. Don't mind the others, but really don't want skunks under there, and raccoons get nasty when they have a brood. So I removed the composite skirt boards and extended the subframing down to a little below ground level with ground-contact pressure treated 2x8's, bedded in gravel. I know they won't last forever, but they should do the trick for a while. Added some screened cutouts to maintain some ventilation under there, and then replaced the skirting on the upper frame. The deck runs the entire 60' length of the house, so it was a bit of a job.

Then it was on to regrading the lot on one side of the house. Settling had led to the lot sloping toward the house a bit, which wasn't good in heavy rains. So I brought in 12 yards of topsoil, spread it, graded it, compacted it, and planted grass seed. Before I could do that I had to temporarily remove 5 or 6 large stone slabs that are part of a walkway leading to the deck. They had settled along with the dirt. Also had to reset the one step leading up to the deck, which would have been nearly at ground level with the regrading. Then I had to replace the stones, and had to cut one of them since it used to extend under the step. They were big stones, and 3-5 inches thick so it was all I could do to move them with a big bar. I should have used the skid steer, but I have tracks on it and it would have really trashed that part of the yard.

Still have a few more outside projects on the list as long as the weather is so nice, including finishing up the elevated garden beds for LOML. And of course, this being NE Ohio, it won't be long before the leaves are falling in torrents.

I have been continuing the design work on the mantle/cabinet project. Got approval on the overall design, settled on cherry, and am working on detail drawings. I want to hit the lumberyard so the stock can acclimate in the shop while I'm still playing outside.

Derek, that's a beautiful moxon, which some great enhancements. I especially like the dovetail slot in the spacer for the clamps.

Look out, the red guys will make an aluminum version for only $1995.00.

Congratulations to your son Dennis and to the whole family!

I did manage to start a small woodworking project and got the finishing stage started yesterday afternoon.

Late addition, I discovered the finish wasn't drying as hard as I would like so last night, I turned on the heat and turned the thermostat to 75ºF.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 09-24-2019 at 11:06 AM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Got generator shed almost finished. Now when weather is bad, wife can go out, connect cord from generator shed to house, turn on fuel to generator, and hit the start button. Generator was converted to electric start. Took a eleven year old battery out of an old riding mower, and placed it on desulphator. It now cranks generator. Had wife's family over for a fish fry on Saturday night. Baked an Apple pie for a friend's birthday. Cut out 300 Toys for Tots car bodies. Hauled a couple trailer loads of gravel for drives. Fixed cut off valve for water at church next door. Ladies no longer have to go under church to cut water on or off. Started on front porch rebuild. Need to get going on a farm table for son.

I chopped all the mortises incorrectly in some desk legs and made some nice maple firewood

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Crawford View Post
    I chopped all the mortises incorrectly in some desk legs and made some nice maple firewood
    Sorry to hear that Thomas, we've all done that.

I call it "artisanal firewood" when I do that............Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Crawford View Post
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...