Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cherry Office Desk

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Excellent work, Cherry is an exceptional wood to work with and it only gets better with time. I would suggest moving the things on the desk top around from time to time so that you don't create shadow spots.
    Yeah; that's gonna be tough with the monitor, and for the desk pad. The other things, maybe. I keep the blinds closed in this room most of the time, so there will be little direct sunlight, but of course there are (LED) lights. My other cherry projects are either away from direct light (e.g. laundry hamper in corner of room) or smaller overall (e.g. side tables with marble-based tops). I think those latter tables get sunlight, but don't have enough surface area to really get shadow spots.

I was worried about that with this project, so we'll see how it goes.
    And there was trouble, taking place...

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Daily View Post
    Beautiful desk Steve! How long did it take to build?
    I bought the material back in March, and really didn't start working on it until June. I don't give myself a whole lot of shop time, so it was an on-and-off process over the past few months. I don't track my in-shop time, so I can't give you any more detail than that. I did get about 1.5 weeks of "alone" time in August however, when my wife and son were out of town (Jersey shore) without me, so I got shop time nearly every day during that time. That helped move things along. Generally speaking however this is probably my fastest "large" project from beginning to completion, which is pretty impressive considering the size of this thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Franklin View Post
    Very nice. A lot of cherry desks you see, done commonly in the shaker style, have thinner tops. An office desk tends to have a fairly substantial base by necessity, and a thinner top just always looks unbalanced to my eye. I think you got it right. You also have a nice color match between the plywood and the solid stock; which is not always easy. Did you do anything special to achieve that?
    I started assuming a top around that thickness (it's about 1.5" thick), so the height of the legs was based on that. That worked well.

And that was pure luck with the color match. Everything is finished the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    That's a very nice design and just excellent workmanship. Your patience to make mortises by first drilling dowel holes and then cleaning out the waste with a router far exceeds mine, however. Next time I suggest you use just a plunge router and edge or centering guides with a spiral upcut router bit.

John
    I used the doweling jig to "perfectly" align the start and end of each mortise, using story sticks for placement of the jig relative to the end of each board. That way I knew I wouldn't go too far or too less when routing. All routing was done with a plunge router, a little jig for the router, and a spiral upcut bit. Yeah, it was more work than I probably needed, but I was okay with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Wurster View Post
    I bought the material back in March, and really didn't start working on it until June. I don't give myself a whole lot of shop time, so it was an on-and-off process over the past few months. I don't track my in-shop time, so I can't give you any more detail than that. I did get about 1.5 weeks of "alone" time in August however, when my wife and son were out of town (Jersey shore) without me, so I got shop time nearly every day during that time. That helped move things along. Generally speaking however this is probably my fastest "large" project from beginning to completion, which is pretty impressive considering the size of this thing!
    I don’t track my shop time either. Big projects like that typically take about a month working when I can (or want to).

Very nice job. I love cherry. Crisp, clean, classy.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

I like this a lot. Better than the plans which inspired it even.

Awesome!

I have a Cherry desk in my office with computer monitor on it. But it gets moved around a bit from time to time so hasnt shown a light spot. Another side table by a window had a lamp that just sat there for years and it did show a light spot (so I moved the lamp). I think the finish type might impact how fast it changes color.

Steve, sorry, late to thread. Count me as another fan of cherry. Beautiful job on the desk. You’re going to enjoy that for a long, long time.

Beautiful desk. Cherry is such a great wood.
    Don't ask me how I know that!