Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cherry Office Desk

Cherry Office Desk

Completed and installed my new office desk. It's a solid cherry frame with cherry plywood panels. There's a "shelf" effect on the left pedestal for my computer, with power and network coming from an in-floor outlet underneath the pedestal. The right pedestal has a bank of drawers; this was my first time using undermount slides (Blum brand), and I think the first time I did inset drawers. There's a channel below the opening in the top that holds wires.

Base construction is loose tenon, with all mortises made using combination of doweling jig and a router. I also used dowels for alignment when gluing up the top; this is probably the flattest desk / table top I have ever made. Overall dimensions are ~67" long, 34.5" deep, and ~30" tall. This thing totally dwarfs the old crappy Ikea desk I used for probably two decades, and also dwarfs the room a little bit.

Finish is GF Seal-A-Cell followed by Satin Arm-R-Seal, all hand-applied with blue rags. I hand-sanded with 1200 grit in between coats of the Arm-R-Seal, and this thing is just so smooth.

Heavily inspired by the Executive Desk project from The Wood Whisperer.

Sorry for the wrong rotation on 3 of those pics; I've messed with them multiple times locally but they're still coming up rotated here.

front.jpgdesk.jpgdrawers.jpgshelf.jpgwires.jpg
    And there was trouble, taking place...

Very nice.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Beautiful desk. I like the cherry.

Awesome work, Steve!! Looks great in the room, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Nicely done; hard to go wrong picking Cherry.

Very nice work Steve. I love the look feel of cherry, and you did the wood proud. Nice build. Nice Lego build too.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

7. Nice desk ! I'm also quite jealous of your 2 gigantic legos in the back

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Carey View Post
    Nice Lego build too.
    Quote Originally Posted by charles mathieu View Post
    I'm also quite jealous of your 2 gigantic legos in the back
    Those are the Ultimate Collector Series Millennium Falcon models; the one from 2007 is on the floor, while the one from 2017 is on the table. There's also a UCS Y-Wing visible under the table, and an Eiffel Tower out of frame to the right. The wall opposite the windows contains a built-in that I finished about 5 years ago, and that is loaded with LEGO models, mostly Star Wars related.
    And there was trouble, taking place...

Outstanding!

Blog Entries
    Excellent work, Cherry is an exceptional wood to work with and it only gets better with time. I would suggest moving the things on the desk top around from time to time so that you don't create shadow spots.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

That's a very nice design and just excellent workmanship. Your patience to make mortises by first drilling dowel holes and then cleaning out the waste with a router far exceeds mine, however. Next time I suggest you use just a plunge router and edge or centering guides with a spiral upcut router bit.

John

Great looking wood and a great looking desk.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Very nice. A lot of cherry desks you see, done commonly in the shaker style, have thinner tops. An office desk tends to have a fairly substantial base by necessity, and a thinner top just always looks unbalanced to my eye. I think you got it right. You also have a nice color match between the plywood and the solid stock; which is not always easy. Did you do anything special to achieve that?

Very well done Steve! I really like the clean lines.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Beautiful desk Steve! How long did it take to build?