Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Guitar build number three...

Thanks, Phil. The Sapele is really looking nice, IMHO. I will say that finishing a guitar with a set neck is a lot harder than a bolt-on! As to your question, yes, once the finish settles down, it will be leveled and brought up though all the levels of micro mesh before buffing. The back of the neck will get knocked back from gloss to something more matte which is what most players prefer...gloss is too "sticky" for the back of the neck.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have all my clear coats on at this point...it will be "resting" for awhile and then it will be time for some "elbow grease" to level and refine the finish with Micromesh before buffing it out. So I'll be hanging it out of the way tomorrow to hopefully avoid any accidents between now and then. I also have most of the clear coats on the "refinished" build number two (burst) that did get damaged. I'm spraying the same finish on some boxes for a client's holiday order, so that body will be ready for micromesh and buffing at the same time as this guitar.

IMG_6140.jpg

Photos after overnight cure and masking removal...

IMG_6148.jpgIMG_6149.jpg
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 11-27-2019 at 8:29 PM.
    --

Jim, I am wondering what gun you are spraying with? HVLP gun?

Your work is always fantastic and this looks like a fair bit of orange peel on the finish. Am wondering if that is by design, but since you mentioned sanding and buffing it out by hand I am not sure. I bet you could get a smoother finish to start if desired.

Carl, in the past year, encouraged by John T's positive comments, I upgraded to the QualSpray AM-6008 HVLP with the 3M PPS system. The latter provides a pressurized disposable container for the finish which in turn allows the gun to be held in pretty much any position including up-side-down. The "orange peel' is partly because of my aggressive use of the finish to build it up and my inexperience. It looks like more than it is, however, due to reflections, and it will be gone relatively quickly when I hit it with 800 and then work up through the micro mesh before buffing. I do believe that I'll eventually get to a better result "off the gun", but even so, it will still not eliminate the need to "finish the finish".
    --