Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: How does your age affect wood working ability

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Carey View Post
    here's another thing to watch out for:

A couple of 4 days ago I read the thread about mechanical pencils, and was impressed with the engineering in the Zebra Delguard pencil, which is only 6 bucks (huh - what else is a great deal at 6 bucks??) so I ordered one.
    A couple of 2 days ago I read the thread about mechanical pencils, and was impressed with the engineering in the Zebra Delguard pencil, which is only 6 bucks so I ordered one.

Yes indeed - I have a backup! And 6 bundles of lead.

I checked and thanks goodness I only ordered one Makita router.
    I ended up with two Stanley's #5-1/4, don't know how the second one came about. Not sad about the second one, both will be put to good use. And a #39 1/2" turned up and don't know how that happened. At least I have not booked a world tour. ;-)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marinus Loewensteijn View Post
    I ended up with two Stanley's #5-1/4, don't know how the second one came about. [edited]
    A #5-1/4 can make a great scrub plane if you need to dimension wood or work on rough cut wood.

Three Scrubs.jpg

The #5-1/4 is in the middle. It looks like it was beat to heck and back in a High School shop class.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    A #5-1/4 can make a great scrub plane if you need to dimension wood or work on rough cut wood.

Three Scrubs.jpg

The #5-1/4 is in the middle. It looks like it was beat to heck and back in a High School shop class.
    Yeah, somebody tore it a new hanging hole. High school, it can be like Lord of the Flies for a plane.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    Yeah, somebody tore it a new hanging hole. High school, it can be like Lord of the Flies for a plane.
    And don't forget the smirk (aka crack) at the top side of the mouth. If my memory is working it likely has a small crack at the bottom of the mouth to go with it. The lateral lever is also broken. A lateral lever on a scrub plane isn't really needed.

This was how a lemon of an ebay deal was turned into lemonade.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Can't put in 14 hour days anymore, down to 12s.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    It isn't as noticeable, but the #5, top plane in the image, also has a hang hole at the heel.

jtk