Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How does your age affect wood working ability

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    This is a post on what could be called shop exercise:

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?272588

Not everyday, but as often as possible some of my time is spent planing or working wood as a form of exercise.

jtk
    Jim,

Shame on you, calling it exercise just ruined it . I gotta buy bigger machines now.

That is one of the things age has affected, I don't attack wonky timber as often as I once did. I now find work arounds for the most part.

ken

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    Jim,

Shame on you, calling it exercise just ruined it . I gotta buy bigger machines now.

That is one of the things age has affected, I don't attack wonky timber as often as I once did. I now find work arounds for the most part.

ken
    If you read the post you will see one of my work arounds for all the planing was to come up with a way to feed it through the bandsaw.

My stamina has also lost a bit over the years. Sometimes it is a few minutes of planing, sometimes it is an hour or more. It seems the more that is done the longer my stamina can hold on. My feeling is the exercise helps to build stamina even for old folks. The trick is to not over do it and to let it build up, then keep it up.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Having good energy, or at a min., lack of fatigue, I find is the most most valuable asset to engage in activities, specially ww. Its amazing how some people have it, and others loose it at certain ages. I know some guys at 90 that have more nrg than guys 60. I have it on and off... the off days really frustrate me. I try stimulates, but they cause withdraws, crashing, etc. Hard to trick the body. Supposedly, it's all in the mitochondria, and the genes that control them. Wish they were further along with that research !!!

Yes, as we get older our overall speed slows down..I used to work on a project ALL day and then return to it after dinner.....Energy level or expectations not as they used to be 20 yrs ago....Ah yes: "Why is youth wasted on the young"?
    Jerry

Used to be, I could work 8-12 hours in the shop. Now? 2-4 hours is about it....I might "push things a bit to 6 hours....but have to take the next day off....still learning to cope with Bifocals, too...

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Now..IF I can just get my right hand to stop shaking....hard to even drink from a glass...left hand is fine....except I am right-handed...
    There's drills you can practice to help with that.
    I recommend practicing extremely slowly on your form, aim for smoothness.
    Also for other motions, having a proprioceptive anchor (touching something--like the side of your cheek) can be very helpful.

As a dentist, shaking hands are something that patients don't tolerate.

Much respect to everyone here.

My mentor just turned 71 three weeks ago.
    He runs circles around me....works about 14 hours a day (out of choice, could have retired decades ago).
    On weekends, he hangs drywall and rebuilds houses for fun.
    He also does some very, very good dentistry.

In contrast, I'm a wimp....just work 10 hours a day. Tai chi...but end up being lazy most of the time. Need to clear up my workshop.
    Think like an old person...have created systems to keep my fingers away from blades and power tools.
    Meanwhile, my mentor doesn't even use a guard on his table saw.

Blog Entries
    This thread has been great. All the things that bother me at 74 have been covered at least once although my Essential Tremor hasn't surfaced yet but i don't think that's function of age. Hands and arms tremble, sometimes a lot and sometimes not so much but nothing that can't be overcome. I walk about a mile 3 or 4 times a week and it hasn't become any easier after about about 6 weeks but it does seem to help the arthritis in my back and hips. Keep on keeping on!

Thomas, my day job as a clinical psychologist involves sitting in one position for about 10-11 hours every day. This is not only mentally exhausting, but it takes it out on muscles in the back, neck, etc. I get up and move around at every excuse, but it is a drop in the ocean. Consequently, as part of my daily exercise regime, I do stretches for my back and exercises for stomach muscles. These help. Check out YouTube for ideas.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Crikey; at 57, I would fall within the category of only being a pup on smc.

having a "Stang" of a time...getting these tiny screws in...
    Poplar box 2, hinged and corners.JPG
    Screwdrivers kept taking the "scenic route" onto the head of each screw...let alone USING it....

here's another thing to watch out for:

A couple of 4 days ago I read the thread about mechanical pencils, and was impressed with the engineering in the Zebra Delguard pencil, which is only 6 bucks (huh - what else is a great deal at 6 bucks??) so I ordered one.
    A couple of 2 days ago I read the thread about mechanical pencils, and was impressed with the engineering in the Zebra Delguard pencil, which is only 6 bucks so I ordered one.

Yes indeed - I have a backup! And 6 bundles of lead.

I checked and thanks goodness I only ordered one Makita router.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Carey View Post

A couple of 4 days ago I read the thread about mechanical pencils, and was impressed with the engineering in the Zebra Delguard pencil, which is only 6 bucks (huh - what else is a great deal at 6 bucks??) so I ordered one.
    A couple of 2 days ago I read the thread about mechanical pencils, and was impressed with the engineering in the Zebra Delguard pencil, which is only 6 bucks so I ordered one.

Good one Bill!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Carey View Post

One of my mechanical pencils went missing last week. My thought was it must have been dropped while we were shopping at Costco. It is one that has been in use since about the same time of my getting married 37 years ago. So a suitable replacement was found in a two pack with the same style side lead feeding system and brought home. A few days ago my wife is looking under the seat in the car and finds my old pencil.

Oh well, now my wife has one of the new ones some new lead was put in my old one and there is another for in the shop or the computer room.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Jim, this could be the first time "putting lead in your pencil" referred to putting lead in a pencil.