Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How does your age affect wood working ability

Lately I have been considering Japanese style planes: pull instead of push. Easier on the arthritic wrist joints.

And the difference between the skew rabbet plane and the edge plane is that the skew rabbet pulls the plane against the edge whereas the edge plane has a tendency to push away from it.
    Last edited by Marinus Loewensteijn; 09-23-2019 at 12:10 AM.

Staring at the big 50, I'm probably a young pup compared to most here, although I have done woodworking in some form for the last 40 years, primarily as a hobby. What I find is that I can do most everything that I could do, but not necessarily as long and sometimes not as well, starting with the number of hours worked in a day. When I was younger 12 hour days in a shop were no problem. Now about 6-8 is my max. I have a concrete floor in my current shop, and about 6 hours is all my back wants to do in day, unless I take a lot of breaks.

Arthritis also takes its toll. Those planes are harder to hold onto and not as easy to use for as long as they used to be. Card scrapers can't be used as long as they used to. The floor has gotten further down. The old George Burns joke about getting down on the floor for something and then saying, "what else can I do while I am down here?" hits home now.

Eyesight isn't what it used to be especially in low light. When I drew up my lighting plan for my shop 10 years ago, I used a wattage per square foot thing from a Fine Woodworking article. When I was finished and turned it on, I thought it was blindingly bright. Now I think it is just too bright. I'm sure in another 10 years I'll think it is just right, and in 20 years I'll need more task lights.

I also notice I am a shade clumsier than I used to be. I drop more things than I used to and not when I expect it. I don't want to start the SawStop fight, but I'll be getting one in a few years. I don't want to trust that I will always be as good around the saw as I am now. It only takes one split second of inattention, and the attention span isn't what it used to be either.

On the positive side though, as the kids have gotten older, I've actually been able to spend more time in the shop. I also have a lot more experience in doing things and don't get hung on problems, or get stuck in certain phases of design like I used to. I now know when to give up on a part, throw it in the fire, and start over rather than trying to save it. I now can actually afford decent wood and have the full complement of machines (except a decent jointer, still need to get one of those), so things are so much easier and faster now. Also, now that I have pieces that are 20-30 years old, I know how they have weathered through use and the seasons, and know what I need to design for.

Plus after making 40 years of mistakes, I'm almost at the point where I realize I'm doing something wrong ahead of time. Well, almost

About five years ago, I began having difficulty seeing fine details without a LOT of light. After several years of struggling with things, I had cataract surgery. Amazing. My vision is now as good as when I was in my 20s. If that's your situation, don't hesitate.

At 73 now, getting up from the floor has become a multi-step process. Pick-up tools are definitely convenient, but not yet a necessity.

35 here. Not a very good woodworker, but I think I'll get better with age.

I think patience and maturity are things not to be undervalued.

I am 79 with a very bad back, but I just finished handplaning a 2' x 4' table top flat and smooth -- slowly with lots of breaks. Same with most everying thing else -- slowly with lots of breaks. I have learned to set things up before doing them, such as roller stands in front of the table saw before sawing a 4x8 sheetof 3/4" plywood. If something is too heavy, such a mounting a vice on the end of the work table, I can call a younger friend for help.

IMG_8751.jpg

Eyes getting bad and needing more light. Not as strong as I once thought I was. I have maybe 10 pair of safety bifocals (a great thing to have) but I can never find most of them.
    Alzheimers sucks, but I can't remember why.......
    Yep writing down stuff helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Lyman View Post
    I am 79 with a very bad back, but I just finished handplaning a 2' x 4' table top flat and smooth -- slowly with lots of breaks. Same with most everying thing else -- slowly with lots of breaks. I have learned to set things up before doing them, such as roller stands in front of the table saw before sawing a 4x8 sheetof 3/4" plywood. If something is too heavy, such a mounting a vice on the end of the work table, I can call a younger friend for help.

IMG_8751.jpg
    Bill,

You have found the key. First keep on keeping on, second take your time, and third have a younger friend even if he/she also has a bad back.

I'd like to add, nice looking shop, that helps as well.

ken
    Last edited by ken hatch; 09-23-2019 at 5:26 PM.

A lot of good advice...thank you all! I am pretty optimistic about growing older as it relates to woodworking, and life in general I suppose, from reading your comments. What I take from this is basically; take care of yourself, do what makes you happy and you’ll figure out ways to deal with limitations when they arise.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Lyman View Post

IMG_8751.jpg
    If there was a "like" button, I would have hit it on that post!

I have a very bad back and do not consider moving a sheet of plywood. I have too many screws, bolts, wires and other things in my back. I also have bad wrists, hip etc so there are many things to avoid. I just have to figure out other ways to do things. I like hand tools but some do not like me. I use them when possible.
    Last edited by Larry Frank; 09-23-2019 at 9:02 PM.

I'll be 71 in a couple weeks. Put a metal roof on an 8/12 pitch yesterday and I did the walking. You are 10 years...or so, from retirement. The best advice I can give you is to take care of yourself. As you age you loose muscle mass. You also loose flexibility. You can work to maintain both, but I think flexibility is key. I can use levers, ramps, wheels and lift to handle material, if I can bend over to get things set up. If I can't bend & reach, I'm done.
    I have always used the "funnel" analogy. Ultimately, we are all going to come out of the small end of the funnel. With my Grandkids, as with my children I told them that the goal is to stay in the top/wide end of the funnel as long as you can. Be a good student, work hard, do all the good things and you will stay higher in the funnel. Get in trouble, smoke, mis-behave, etc you work your way down the funnel faster. The funnel story never changes, but for us I think "keep moving" is the key.

I'm a spry 66 y/o and have found that the manufacturer's of modern light bulbs are purposely making them dimmer.
    Carpal tunnel (carmel apple to me) plagues me with electric jolts to my wrists--shocking isn't it?
    Back and knees are slowing me down--never cared for running anyway.
    Where in the H did I put that?--keeps me actively searching so I get my steps in.
    I buy reading glasses in bulk and keep them scattered across my domain, although I'm often searching for these also.
    And last but not least, am I forgetting anything?

Alas, I have finally become more patient in life.

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

Coming up on 70. I did have a lot more energy back with I turned 69 () but still have plenty of strength. Maybe it's hauling and stacking hay, trees and sawmilling, herding llamas, exercising horses, etc. I mostly do woodturning and handle a lot of wood, sometimes heavy. I use more power tools than hand tools (lathe, bandsaw, chainsaw, sawmill) but love the physical wood contact when carving, scraping, and sanding, but my elderly shop list focuses more on power tools. I've been retired since 2006.

Some things I find helps a lot for woodworking when older:

- Expect to get tired easier. Fight that with more exercise. Take frequent breaks and do something completely different, read, take a walk, sketch a plan.

- Expect short-term memory to weaken. Excellent tip from a friend: keep a couple of folded 3x5 cards in the pocket for notes and to-do.

- Wear eye and hearing protection. Always.

- Make use of a good dust collector.

- Some people are too proud to go to the doctor with "small" problems or questions. Getting older is not the time for this!

- Add more light in the shop for dimming eyes. My fixtures each have four 4000 lumen bulbs. I keep very bright task lights at lathes, bandsaw, milling machine, etc.

- More comfort in the shop. This means heat and air for year round use. Put in a bathroom. (I didn't but am trying to fix that)

- Keep the Lovely Bride happy. This means more cooperation, more time, better nutrition, happier and healthier life!

- Spend more time outside and in the shop than in front of the TV. I haven't watched an hour of TV in maybe 13 years.

- Spend as much time with young people and children - they will keep you energized! I've been teaching kindergarten SS for maybe 26 years now and they definitely keep me moving, physically and mentally.

- Avoid distractions to keep the hands and fingers intact. Stop and THINK more for every operation. When tiring, instead of doing things that can cut, do things like planning and layout or straightening up. Expect to be tired more!

- Get a Fitbit for encouragement to move. I found I walk an average of between 5 and 6 miles a day, just here on the farm. I'm down 10 lbs in the last few months.

- Use heavy equipment for lifting and moving things. My latest woodturning "tool" will hold a 1000lb log off the ground for chainsawing! (Ok, this is a little extreme but sure saves the back. Can hold a 1000 lb log by one end in a comfortable position for chainsawing turning chunks!)
    cutting-logs.jpg

Lacking that, invite a friend or son over as needed. A chain hoist in the shop can be handy. A friend mounted an i-beam across the ceiling of his shop used a cheap hoist a LOT to load/unload from the back of a truck, move things around. I've known so many older people who suffered from one misadventure with something a little too heavy.

JKJ

Blog Entries
    Really interesting and I think generally optimistic Thread– thanks for posting.

This thread makes me wonder what is the average age of folks here in the Cave? Most of my in person interaction with woodworkers is through the local community college program and woodworking clubs when I occasionally bore them with way too much information about hand saws. My experience is lots of 50–60-year-old white guys.

I started Woodworking in my 20s after reading a James Krenov book because I needed some basic furniture I couldn’t afford to buy and have been self taught ever since. I remember clearly almost quitting when I couldn’t make my first hand plane work anything like the pictures I saw.

Would have been great to spend time with an experience woodworker to show me the ropes – would’ve certainly shorten my learning curve by years.

I’m 60 now and some of my most rewarding experiences are working with younger woodworkers who have power tool experience and want to learn about handtools - super fun and gratifying.

After 40 years of woodworking, Sherrie and I and our 2 Boys Have Way more furniture than we need. I’m challenged to come up with ideas for new projects - what am I gonna do with them - Got no place to put them?

Seems like some kind a fundamental imbalance – generally young people need furniture, but it’s old woodworkers like me who know how to make it. Does this seem like some kind of mentoring opportunity that benefits everyone, or more likely am I way off base what do you think?

Best, Mike

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh Robinson View Post
    A lot of good advice...thank you all! I am pretty optimistic about growing older as it relates to woodworking, and life in general I suppose, from reading your comments. What I take from this is basically; take care of yourself, do what makes you happy and you’ll figure out ways to deal with limitations when they arise.
    One thing you may consider if you have a benefit for eyeglasses through your employer is to get fit for glasses even if you think you do not need them. The reason for this is so you have the frames after you retire. It will save you money when you do need glasses.

I have maybe 10 pair of safety bifocals (a great thing to have) but I can never find most of them.
    Alzheimers sucks, but I can't remember why.......
    My problem with this was solved by making myself put things away where they belong. "A place for everything and everything in its place."

Another helping habit is to not move things once they have 'a proper place.' The only time this rule is amended is if when looking for an item multiple times another place is checked first. Then the item may get moved to what seemed to be a more appropriate spot for it to reside.

There are other little tricks one can use to help retain memory. Many of mine use the placement of objects to be evens or odds, port or starboard and such.

Of late there have been articles on eating salads being related to avoiding memory loss. There have also been articles on how doing crossword puzzles may also forestall memory loss.

jtk

--May we all age well for a long time.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)