Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Smart phone in the shop

I hate carrying a phone for all the reasons you can imagine but Keith's post above is why it's with me at all times in the shop. I'm a left front pocket guy and always wish I had adopted Jim's belt case protocol but I had an otterbox and lost two phones to breakage because the belt clip sucked. I need to look into his system.

I have thankfully never had the need but when I'm working in the shop alone Im very conscious of it especially when climbing up into a high mezzanine to get something or when real busting out on a deadline.

Being in business you never want to miss a call and the distraction of it can be a nuisance but I turn off my notifications when needed. But having that thing near by if I fell, got hurt, or had a stroke/heart attack it would be my only chance of getting out of their alive.

I like my shop. But not sure I want to die there because I cant call for help.

II have the Kcyorea Brigadier, It is truly a rugged phone. I have had it for a couple years. I have dropped it, left it outdoors over night etc. They say the screen won’t scratch. I carry it in the ruler pocket of carpenter jeans. I too went from flip phone to Kcyorea and it is fine for what I do. Camera is pretty good. It is not to big.
    Good luck, Kevin
    Last edited by kevin nee; 09-22-2019 at 1:42 PM.

Blog Entries
    It has been almost a decade since my cellular phone was tossed in a drawer. Now it comes out when an alarm clock is needed.

My habit of keeping it in my shirt pocket required a way to keep it from falling out when reaching for something low.

A friend showed me how he sliced up an ear plug and supper glued the disks to strategic spots on his phone to give it grip to not slip out of his pocket.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

My wife gave me my first smart phone last Xmas, still learning to use it. 99% of the time it sits on the charger. I don't use it at work, AT ALL. I just use the regular phone.

I kept my LG flip phone, glad I did. It fits in my front pocket, don't even know it's there until it vibrates. Much better 'emergency' phone than an oversized smart phone IMO...

For all else, Ooma-- I have 11 Vtech phones around the house, 7 of them are doorbell-photo phones, the pictures suck but the fact they're all doorbells is GREAT, didn't have to wire up a bell in the garage shop, have a doorbell outdoors now...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    always wish I had adopted Jim's belt case protocol but I had an otterbox and lost two phones to breakage because the belt clip sucked. I need to look into his system.
    Here's the case I use, Mark. I also have a thin case on my phone so it has a little protection when it's in my hand, etc. Right now, it's an Apple leather case since I upgraded to the XS Max, but previously, I used Spiegen cases with the iPhone 6S Plus I previously carried prior to the upgrade. The phone with the light case fits in to this holster nicely and it should work for any smartphone setup since there are multiple sizes available. (the link is for the XL size I use)

https://smile.amazon.com/Nite-Ize-Si...s%2C127&sr=8-1

--

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I knew what I wanted, but couldn't find it, if I did it wasn't for my phone ... so some kydex online, a holster clip, some creative cutting and a visit to the oven.

20190923_074015.jpg20190923_074007.jpg
    Last edited by Don Coffman; 09-23-2019 at 9:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Here's the case I use, Mark. I also have a thin case on my phone so it has a little protection when it's in my hand, etc. Right now, it's an Apple leather case since I upgraded to the XS Max, but previously, I used Spiegen cases with the iPhone 6S Plus I previously carried prior to the upgrade. The phone with the light case fits in to this holster nicely and it should work for any smartphone setup since there are multiple sizes available. (the link is for the XL size I use)

https://smile.amazon.com/Nite-Ize-Si...s%2C127&sr=8-1

Thanks Jim,
    Love the smile link. I use the heck out of smile. Nice to see others doing the same.

Blog Entries
    I'm on the lean side . . . OK, skinny. When phones got huge I abandoned the belt clip and switched to the back pocket. I do keep it on me in the shp unless I am doing some serious moving around. For those times my phone lays face down (protective case) on a fixture by the door. I find the black and white pattern of the case in contrast with almost anything in the shop so it keeps it visible when I try to leave it behind and it is always in the same spot when I want it ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Keeping in mind, I am deaf and hear with the aid of a cochlear implant. I struggle on the telephone so until today there was only 2 times I even turn my cell phone on. I use it to text message my wife when she is traveling out of town as she travels a lot more than I do. The other time is when I want to listen to some music. I have a device I can wear around my neck that takes regular Bluetooth converting it to a proprietary form of Bluetooth. The device sends the proprietary form of Bluetooth to the sound processor for my cochlear implant on my left ear and the hearing aid on my right ear. Thus I can listen to music.

After reading Keith's story, I am considering taking my cellphone out of the drawer where I typically store it, use my Otterbox belt carrier and wear it in the shop.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    My phone sits on the kitchen table where it always is when I'm home. I usually get 6 junk calls for every "real" one so I seldom answer it. Ok, I'll admit it, it's a flip phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    Thanks Jim,
    Love the smile link. I use the heck out of smile. Nice to see others doing the same.
    Yes, I've provided quite a few shekels to Ginger's Parrot Rescue with my, um...frequent...Amazon purchases.
    --

I'm another Nite Ize holster guy, vertical holster for my semi smart Samsung phone. I tried the plastic scabbard things but kept ripping the clips off after a day or two. Never had a Nite Ize clip fail.

I probably abuse and carry a phone more than most. Crawling around in the ballast under equipment, and all over and in it as well. There is only one case that takes the abuse and keeps on going. Otterbox! I use the defender series. In the last 9 years I have broken the holster a couple times but never the phone. I work in remote locations that only exist on the railroad. The phone could be a life line. As for carrying it in the shop and around the property I rarely am without it. I don't get many bogus calls. If they aren't in my caller ID I don't answer. My smart watch tells me I am getting a call or text.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cav View Post
    I'm another Nite Ize holster guy, vertical holster for my semi smart Samsung phone. I tried the plastic scabbard things but kept ripping the clips off after a day or two. Never had a Nite Ize clip fail.
    Yea, they build them really well...I've worn a cover out visually on my "shop" holster which stays on the belt for my "shop" clothes, but physically, they just keep kicking. 'Can't go wrong for $13!
    --

I carry two phones with me every day. One is an iPone 5, yes a 5, that I got from my daughter years ago. It is my 'work phone' that most of my customers use so I need to have it reasonably handy. It goes in my right front pocket and fits just fine. My personal phone, that some customers have and use, is a Moto 5G that I love. The Moto phones are inexpensive (about $220 for the newest one) yet have almost all the features of the $800 iPhones or Samsungs. It means if I break it, I don't cry too much. That phone goes in my left front pocket of my jeans. Both fit nicely in their cases. I always have the vibration turned on which helps with calls if it is noisy. I used to carry phones on my belt with a clip or some other device and got tired of hitting them on things.
    I am in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection, but with Montana it is love.... It seems to me that Montana is a great splash of grandeur....the mountains are the kind I would create if mountains were ever put on my agenda. Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans. Montana has a spell on me. It is grandeur and warmth. Of all the states it is my favorite and my love.

John Steinbeck