Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Smart phone in the shop

Smart phone in the shop

So where do you keep your smart phone in the shop? They seem too big for the front pocket of my jeans. I worry in a rear pocket I will sit on it and break it. Do I have to become a women and carry a purse all the time? fanny packs came and went in the 80's. Should I buy a pocket protector like my Dad's?
    i am still in the flip phone mode but I really need to update soon.
    Bill D.

Left shirt pocket - all the time...
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

Right front pants pocket. I still have an iPhone 6, so it fits well. Having a calculator on your person at all times is handy

cargo shorts/pants wallet left side in front phone right side in front
    Dickies has pants with a lower front pocket on right leg perfect for the phone

I wear carpenter-style jeans, and the phone goes in the pocket on my right thigh. Won't fall out, but easy to retrieve. With the phone on vibrate, I can usually feel it if it rings.

I've been using a horizontal belt holster for as long as I've had smartphones...it's always with me, always immediately accessible and always protected. I NEVER put a phone in a pocket for the most part. The holsters I've used now for quite a few years are from Nit-eze.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Phone goes on a shelf next to the bluetooth speaker.
    I hate having stuff in my pockets and I have no reason to keep the phone on me. It's easily accessible on the shelf. I'm alerted to calls or messages through the speaker, and sometimes I ignore it anyway. Shop time is my time.

I've had large phones (Samsung Notes) for quite some time. I always have them on belt clips with Otterbox protection and have never had an issue with any.
    I guess I usually carry too much stuff in my pockets, so worry about getting the screen scratched if putting it in there.
    I also rarely wear shirts with pockets (usually polo style), so that's not practical either.
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

Until recently, I never carried my cell into the shop. Im just not that fond of carrying one. But after reading more than one safety thread here, I decided it needed to be in my pocket or on my belt so that I could call for help if I got hurt, fell down, etc. Having it on the shelf or bench doesnt help me if Im on the ground, across the garage. YMMV.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

In the shop it’s usually plugged in and on the bench with a podcast on.

Other than that it’s in the front right pocket.

I use a horizontal holster and keep it in my belt. My wife requires that I have it with me in the shop or outside. She frequently checks and I am in big trouble if I do not have it.

A cell phone can save your life...mine did. I had no idea 5 years ago that on May 1st I was going to need my phone when I opened the door to my shop and dropped down to the floor in front of my mill. I was unable to get back up but I had my cell phone in my shirt pocket and was able to call for help. My heart attack was a bad one and i can remember to this day how fortunate I was to be able to get help. If I had a land line or left my cell phone on a a shelf out of reach I would not have been able to get to the phone.

Just some food for thought!

I set my Samsung GalaxyS8+ on a charger when I go in shop. My hearing aids are blue tooth connected to the phone so any calls I hear in my ear. There is a button also that hangs on a cord around my neck(under my shirt of course) that I can receive or make calls with by pressing a button. Hearing aids are great these days......it's like having an all day set of nice ear bids in your ears(streaming music from my phone, etc. I can set hearing environments, and/or filters for the
    Wonders of technology!

Jim

ANy thoughts on the Kcyorea Brigadier rugged smart phone sold by Verizon? Seems like it would be sawdust proof and not need a separate protective case.
    Bil lD.

https://www.kyoceramobile.com/brigadier/

I keep mine in a vertical holster from Duluth Trading in or out of the shop. No reception in the shop so I have a land line I forward it to
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution