Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: shipping containers???

shipping containers???

I'm getting ready to get a 40' shipping container, and am wondering if anyone has any experienced advice. The place that sells them is a couple of hours away, and I'd rather just call them, and tell them to bring one.

I have a 24x40 foot building, that I use for metal work, and mechanic work on my own stuff, but I've about gotten crowded out by our (grown and gone) kids, and my Wife using it for storage. I'm going to put their stuff, that may, or may not, ever be used again, in the storage container.

Also, my 103 year old Mother had to move into an assisted living place, just this past week. We're going to rent her house out, and there is a lot of stuff in there that doesn't need to stay in a rental house, but we don't want to get rid of.

I may end up with multiple containers, but we have plenty of room. I had a spot cleared off, and leveled for them this past week. We buried a 40 year accumulation of stuff that I know I will never use, in the process, so that was long overdue anyway. There is plenty of room for containers to be delivered.

Any ideas about what I should look out for are much appreciated.

No first-hand experience, but I'd worry about humidity, and the possibility of mold and mildew. We might be getting to the time of year when it won't be a problem for a while, but come spring it could be a mess.

Look out for leaks. Containers do spend most of their life on the ocean in salt spray, and they do get banged around a bunch. So water-tightness is not guaranteed.

We use shipping containers for parts storage. Have them send photos if you can't inspect the one you are getting. They are used so they will have a few dings and scratches. You want the doors to seal up tightly. None of the ones we have ever showed any signs of corrosion from salt water. They do make a good inexpensive storage unit. One other thing. There are two styles of latches. One is like a semi trailer swing out door with double cam latches. The other has a handle that operates a top and bottom locking rod. Single handle operation. If you are going to get in it very often that's a much easier system to use. The semi door style is a pain in my opinion. You have to engage first the middle one and then cam the one at the door edge in as the door closes.
    Last edited by Ronald Blue; 09-21-2019 at 11:42 PM.

You can buy a new container in China and they ship it to the USA with a clean load of boxed goods to someone else in the states. It is unloaded and the empty is then shipped to you. Cost is a little more then a used container but it a almost brand new container. This may not be common on the east coast?
    Bill D.

Thanks, especially Ronald. I guess I should go pick one out. The do sell "one trip" containers, but they start close to 5k, whereas the others start at 2,800. I expect the good, used ones are in the middle of that.

edited to add: The first one will only be about 75' from a 200 amp panel, with less than half the breaker spaces filled, under a shed on the outside of the Mechanic shop. I'm planning on putting a subpanel in the first unit, to have lights, and can run fans, and a dehumidifier, if we need to.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 09-22-2019 at 8:04 AM.

My Dad has one at our farm. He cut a side door into it and leaves the end doors closed. He built a small awning over the door to shed water, and he also cut a window unit A/C into the rear end wall. He ran electric via a sub-panel that ties into the main electric in our barn. Very nice setup for his metal working and tool storage needs but in the summer it gets so hot you can hardly stand to work in it. The A/C helps but the metal just absorbs so much of the southern sun radiation and heat that it’s tough. Unfortunately all the options we’ve come up with so far to cut that heat are pricey.

I've seen them with roofs built over them, and even two with an open space between the two. I can also spray a lot of paint in a short amount of time.

After looking and researching a little myself apparently the door style with the locking pins and single handle operation is obsolete now. We do have several containers that were converted to a roll up garage door style door. So if you find the cargo door style a pain that's an option as well. Good luck in your quest.

Just make sure you check the floor really good. Old containers had wood for flooring (think rot) and newer ones are aluminum. I spent most of my work time going in and out of them on my forklift, about 25 years worth. The aluminum floors give out because of the stress they go through, think bending a can back and forth. I went through a bunch of floors over the years, thank goodness the frame is only 6/8 inches below the floor, still really wakes you up fast
    Sometimes we see what we expect to see, and not what we are looking at! Scott

You can buy a refrigerated one that is already insulated. It will cost more but the extra cost may be less then the cost of buying insulation and framing over the insulation.
    Bill D.

https://www.discovercontainers.com/s...ontainer-home/
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 09-22-2019 at 12:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    You can buy a new container in China and they ship it to the USA with a clean load of boxed goods to someone else in the states. It is unloaded and the empty is then shipped to you. Cost is a little more then a used container but it a almost brand new container. This may not be common on the east coast?
    Bill D.
    We're in Virginia,and that's how my son bought his.

Shipping container/big rig trailer

I have two, more or less! I've had a shipping for a decade and use it for hay storage. (I can fit 276 square bales) I cut six vents near the floor and put rotating roof vents in the top. Bought it used from a woman, not a company.

hay_IMG_20170918_182419_563.jpg building_hay.jpg shipping_container_B_IMG_20.jpg shipping_container_A_IMG_20.jpg
    (It looks better after it was pressure washed!)

The advice I got at the time has been proven by looking at some others have. If keeping it under the trees and if the roof is steel you HAVE to keep the leaves cleaned off. The guy selling containers and trailers from big rigs warned me that too many people dont and the roof will rust through. I looked at one that a friend had in her woods that she hadn't opened for years - the roof had rusted and the water ruined everything inside.

• One option is to put it where there are no trees and regularly clean off blown leaves and debris.

• Another option is to build conventional gable or shed roof over top - that will protect it. An even better option if you can make a big enough flat spot is to get two, set them a little bit apart, and build a truss roof over the whole thing. This will give you an open-air space between, good for storage, parking a tractor/vehicle, or walling off for even more enclosed space

• The best solution is don't buy one made from steel! This might cost more but could be far better in the end. I bought one that is all aluminum except for the steel frame for the floor. It has held up perfectly for perhaps 8-10 years with not a leak. The floor is strong enough I can drive my tractor inside with a pallet loaded with a dozen hay bales for stacking at the far end. If I had the time, I'd love to put side doors in it for easier access.

Don't forget to look at tractor trailer trailers too. A place here sells both containers and big rig trailers. I bought an all-aluminum trailer years before I got the shipping container and use it for storage. The trailer is nice for several reasons - mine is longer (45') and taller (9' instead of 8'). The floor is still very strong since it has to support a heavy fork lift for loading. The company here cuts off the wheels and delivers on a rollback trailer just like a shipping container. I've since built a leanto building next to it using the trailer for support.

semi_trailer.jpg

To prep the spot, I level with the tractor and spread and compact gravel. I have them set the things down on several 6x6 PT posts laid on the gravel. I put red flags down on the exact corners I want and give the driver a bonus if he's within 2". Those guys are GOOD!

Another thing to look for in either a trailer or shipping container is the quality of the doors. Some have been abused. I would not buy one without inspecting it first. The trailer I have must have had damaged doors because they put new doors on it and painted before delivery. I think it was about $1500 from a place in Knoxville.

Note that when set in place if the doors don't close well you might need to shim under one of the container corners at the doors. This might need to be repeated in a few years if the ground settles.

These things WILL get musty inside from the humidity unless vented.
    Skunk love to live underneath.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I'm getting ready to get a 40' shipping container, and am wondering if anyone has any experienced advice. The place that sells them is a couple of hours away, and I'd rather just call them, and tell them to bring one.

I have a 24x40 foot building, that I use for metal work, and mechanic work on my own stuff, but I've about gotten crowded out by our (grown and gone) kids, and my Wife using it for storage. I'm going to put their stuff, that may, or may not, ever be used again, in the storage container.

Also, my 103 year old Mother had to move into an assisted living place, just this past week. We're going to rent her house out, and there is a lot of stuff in there that doesn't need to stay in a rental house, but we don't want to get rid of.

I may end up with multiple containers, but we have plenty of room. I had a spot cleared off, and leveled for them this past week. We buried a 40 year accumulation of stuff that I know I will never use, in the process, so that was long overdue anyway. There is plenty of room for containers to be delivered.

Any ideas about what I should look out for are much appreciated.

Thanks a lot! All good information. I had all the trees taken out where the spot is. I'll go look them over before I decide on one. Looks like the two with a roof over is the best long term plan. These will be purely for just storing "stuff" that's too good to throw away, but probably never be used for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    These will be purely for just storing "stuff" that's too good to throw away, but probably never be used for anything.
    I have a lot of stuff like that. So does my buddy Joe. Periodically we visit each other and swap some of it.

JKJ