Thread: Porter Cable Finish Nailer Troubleshooting

Porter Cable Finish Nailer Troubleshooting

I have a weird problem with my finish nailer and I am hoping someone can help me troubleshoot it. I have to pull the trigger 3 or more times before it will shoot (I run the air at 90 PSI) Don't laugh but the best way to describe it is: pfft, pfft, pfft, wham. I removed the back and did not see any foreign matter but I cleaned and oiled the piston and cylinder anyway. It did not help. I have not taken it apart any further because it doesn't seem like a trigger problem and I don't want to get that deep into disassembly unless I an reasonably sure it will help. TIA.
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

Check that the spring loaded safety thing on the nose is set properly and there are no obstructions.

Sounds like our Paslode nailers when it is time for a re-build kit. I've never had a PC, so not sure if it would have the same symptoms.

After a similar experience from dirt daubers building a nest in one, I keep plastic slip-on caps on all the nail gun inlets now, when they aren't connected to a filtered air hose, and haven't had a misfire since. I ordered them off ebay, or Amazon. They come in different sizes by inside diameter. The 1/2" ones fit my 3/8" H style connectors, but yours may vary.

There is most likely some debris inside the gun. No choice but to take it apart, and clean it.

I guess so, thanks. Is a rebuild kit necessary and worth the money ($60)?
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

Probably just needs cleaning, if you don't tear an O-ring in the process, but you can buy those individually from an auto parts, or hardware store. In using all sorts of nail guns over 45 years, I've never had to replace an O-ring, but did have to replace a couple of firing seals, which is the large soft plastic part. Even my oil-less guns get a drop of oil once in a while.

I wouldn't put $60 in parts for a Porter Cable gun.

edited to add: I like to use a big, white dishpan for disassembling stuff that has a lot of small parts to lose.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 09-21-2019 at 7:31 PM.

Blog Entries
    WD40 lubrication ?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Probably just needs cleaning, if you don't tear an O-ring in the process, but you can buy those individually from an auto parts, or hardware store. In using all sorts of nail guns over 45 years, I've never had to replace an O-ring, but did have to replace a couple of firing seals, which is the large soft plastic part. Even my oil-less guns get a drop of oil once in a while.

I wouldn't put $60 in parts for a Porter Cable gun.

edited to add: I like to use a big, white dishpan for disassembling stuff that has a lot of small parts to lose.
    The firing seal is a known problem. Does the hammer retract all the way after each shot?
    Bill D.

If the firing seal is shot, my Senco's just blow air out of the exhaust, and won't cycle any at all. Since his fires intermittently, it probably just has trash in it. In any case, taking it apart will show up any split seal, or o-ring.

Blog Entries
    WD40 cures a lot of ills. Try it.