Thread: Check these rattlesnake pictures

Blog Entries

Check these rattlesnake pictures

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=...w=1443&bih=696

I would hate to come across one in the woods.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post

Yikes! One of the images includes the word "rare." With all of thoses pictures, they can't be that rare.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I've seen them in the mountains near here, I never bother them. They don't bother you unless you step on them. They give plenty of warning when you get near so you can back away. Just have to teach the children. I saw a sad thing once - some low life had doused the tail of a rattlesnake with gasoline and set fire to it for fun. I'll bet it wouldn't be so much fun if someone did it to him.

They are rare to see but are still around. To find them look for them sunning on a flat rock in late morning.

You can catch them (or any snake) with a stick with an end like a golf club - pin their neck against the ground close to the head and grasp close to the head. Practice with black snakes! (I don't like snakes around the poultry so I take them for a long ride in the car.) Be careful, snakes are all muscle. Even black snakes can bite hard but are harmless.

snake.jpg snake_JKJ_IMG_20130616_164846_043.jpg snake_peacocks.jpg snake_eggs_IMG_20140823_133052_513.jpg

Now copperheads snakes, they are silent and on a hair trigger. However, I've never seen them out and about - only under things I've moved, like concrete blocks and old roofing tin.

The most important thing about venomous snakes when climbing or picking up rocks and limbs and things: never put your hands where you cannot see.

Two headed snakes are pretty rare. Rattlesnakes are getting less common, but there are still plenty of them if you go to the right places.
    I don't muck about with snakes any longer, but as a kid I was always messing with them, even the rattler's.
    I never liked killing them, or saw the need, and would come and get them from other peoples yards, if I knew they were there. My mom used to have fits when she knew I had them.
    I guess it runs in the family, because I have a nephew that is a snake person.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Blog Entries
    I don't bother snakes of any specie. We have grass snakes and moccasins in Galveston County Texas.

When quail hunting in South Texas, we wore snake chaps, especially on warmer days. Rarely saw a rattlesnake and when we did it was usually high tailing it away from us. The landowner brought in a bunch of Eastern Indigos to try to keep the Rattlesnakes as bay. Those would give me a bit of a startle when we’d see one. Harmless to us, but still a very big snake.

We have plenty around here. One of my customers has killed 6 around his new house so far this year. One was in the in the dog kennel, another in the shop, etc. We kill them here if they are around the house. They have millions of vacant acres they can hang out in, the ones that get close are just too comfortable with people to keep around. I got rid of one on a different job site earlier this year to. Easy for folks who aren't actually around them all the time to be a snake lover, a little different when they are possibly under every board or in any crawl space.

I've seen literally hundreds of rattlesnakes (and thousands of non-venomous snakes in the wild). In fact, I often go looking for them! "Live and let live", and you won't have any problems. Though arbitrarily killing snakes is a bad policy, I understand the danger they can pose around human dwellings. My first house in TX was part of a new subdvision on rural land. One day, I came home and there was a baby Western Diamondback curled up in the threshhold of the garage door. I relocated it far away but there were plenty of little neighbor kids who probably would have innocently tried to play with it, with bad results.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Blog Entries
    Don't house cats thin out the snakes?

Don't house cats thin out the snakes?
    Yeah, tiny ones. But, if a cat starts messing with an adult rattler or copperhead, then LOL...

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

We have lots of rattle snakes around here, they don't bother anyone, BUT just this morning I grabbed my socks and a scorpion fell out . These I kill LOL. First one I've seem in the house in years, I think all the rain we got yesterday drove them inside I don't know.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Thanks to all for making me appreciate Chicago winters.

I see rattle snakes every year. My son and I stumbled into two different den sites when bowhunting. I have revisited one of the sites with my good camera and telephoto lens. Fun showing people who are afraid of snakes pictures.