Thread: Stock Power Feeder for Shaper-3 phase Owie!

Stock Power Feeder for Shaper-3 phase Owie!

I purchased and brought home the Northwood shaper and Jet 20" planer mentioned in previous posts. All ended up more than I wanted to pay but both machines are improvements over what I already have. The only real disappointment so far is the motor for the power feeder ended up being 3 phase. The motors on the machines themselves are single phase. I just assumed the power feeder was the same. It seems I have 3 remedies; 1) replace the motor, 2) use a VFD or 3) power it with 3 phase supplied by a rotary phase converter that exists on the other side of my shop. Any suggestions? The 3rd option, although appearing to be an easy fix would be a pain because of the distance from the source of power and having to turn on the RPC just to operate a 1 hp motor.

Blog Entries
    If you were closer id offer to trade motors. I have a bunch of single phase feeders that i would prefer were 3ph.

A feeder with a vfd is the next best thing to full variable speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared Sankovich View Post
    If you were closer id offer to trade motors. I have a bunch of single phase feeders that i would prefer were 3ph.

A feeder with a vfd is the next best thing to full variable speed.
    Your comment reminded me that single phase may not provide the variable speed in 3 phase. Is that accurate?

I may have another option besides a VFD to use with the 3 phase motor, especially since it's only 1 hp. Maybe a simple static phase converter would work. I use to use one on a Bridgeport mill before getting a RPC.

You can buy a 120 volt input VFD that will output 208 three phase natively. I would keep the stock feeder 3 phase so it is variable speed. I would not vary the speed to much electrically maybe 40-80HZ.
    For a one hp motor a VFD will be cheaper then a single phase motor.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mathews View Post
    Maybe a simple static phase converter would work. I use to use one on a Bridgeport mill before getting a RPC.
    I have also had a positive experience with a static phase converter. It may depend on how close to the max power you are pushing your motor. 1hp is a pretty beefy feeder and a static converter would run 2/3 of that.

Having said that my personal choice would be the VFD

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Beckett View Post
    I have also had a positive experience with a static phase converter. It may depend on how close to the max power you are pushing your motor. 1hp is a pretty beefy feeder and a static converter would run 2/3 of that.

Having said that my personal choice would be the VFD
    I second this. I think the VFD is the way to go.
    David

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    You can buy a 120 volt input VFD that will output 208 three phase natively. I would keep the stock feeder 3 phase so it is variable speed. I would not vary the speed to much electrically maybe 40-80HZ.
    For a one hp motor a VFD will be cheaper then a single phase motor.
    I find 30 to 60hz covers it. Between the 2 speed motor and the vfd it allows 6 to ~80 fpm (on the typical comatic)

Its really nice to be able to dial in the feed speed up or down to exactly what you need. It makes jumping back to a machine with a 4 or 8 speed feeder annoying.

OK, it's settled. I'll go with the VFD. Any suggestions on which one?

Blog Entries
    Fuji frenic-mini