Thread: Delta 28-216 Bandsaw

Delta 28-216 Bandsaw

Ok so as I am trying to get the garage organized to start setting up my tools, I am also looking for things that I am interested in having.
    A bandsaw is one of these things, There just doesn’t seem to be a lot out there in my area right now. I did run across
    a craigslist ad for a 14” Delta 28-216 Bandsaw with 6” riser block and after market bearing kit. It looks like it is in good working condition. This seller is asking $625. Just not sure if this is a good price for this saw

Any advise would be greatly appreciated

Sounds a bit high, there's a Rockwell 28-200 on Craigslist in Vancouver BC for $350 Cnd, this is description in the ad.

Bandsaw comes with throat extender block, new tires, three blades, and a Carter Products 86N5000 blade tensioner. The motor is a Leeson 1 HP 120 VAC unit.

Although old, it is a real workhorse.

Blog Entries
    I didn't pay that much more for a Rikon 10-325 brand new & by all reports the Rikon is quite a bit better.

I didn't pay that much ($625) for all three of my Delta 14" saws. Two are open stand, one enclosed stand, and two have riser blocks.

Ok so it sounds like this person really really loves his band saw. What would be a good price to pay for this saw? I am going to go look at it tomorrow but did not want to overpay, which is why I posted here.

I have found that a good way to determine current market value is to search Craigslist for similar items but extend search area couple of hundred miles in all directions. Particularly if done over time I find I can get the feel for what might be over priced and what might be a bargain.

I have a Delta that I bought next to new with enclosed base and about 20 new blades that in hindsight I over paid $(1000). That was about 23 years ago. I have also bought one for $50 with a riser block. Even if I average the two probably still a bit high. At the end of the day it is worth what you are willing to pay based on condition,what is available in your area, and how long you are willing to wait.

I went and talked to the guy about the Delta 28-216 band saw . After talking to him for about 30 minutes he told me he would sell me the bandsaw a Box of blades A mobile base for $400

Pays to do some research and talk. Not a bad price, and bird in hand?????? Some areas do not have bandsaws pop up that often so you have a decision to make.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Canfield View Post
    Pays to do some research and talk. Not a bad price, and bird in hand?????? Some areas do not have bandsaws pop up that often so you have a decision to make.
    I have been searching all the local places out too about 2 hours from me and there only (5) 14" band saws 3 ( central machine, Grizzly G0555, Delta 28-216) at $550 - $625 and then 2 (Laguna 14-12 @ $1200 and Rikon 10-325 @ $800) both asking more then I can afford on a band saw right now. After talking for about 30 minutes or so he seemed to be a nice guy (Dentist actually) but I told him he was pretty high. He asked me what I thought it was worth and based on feedback from the forums I told him somewhere between $325 – $400. He was like sorry can’t go down that much and I said thanks for showing my your bandsaw and if you change your mind let me know. I was in the truck get ready to pull out when he stopped me and said he would take $400. And added bonus this guy is like 5 minutes from my house, I am picking up tomorrow. You think this was an ok

Larry I think you did fine. Considering your options and budget,good decision. Now just set the thing up in your shop and enjoy.

So I picked up the saw today.
    It came with 7 blades (4-Powertec, 1- Supercut, 1- Woodcraft and a AccuRight) mobile base and dust collection fittings for hooking it up.

front view.jpgside view.jpgtop wheel.jpgbottom wheel.jpgmobile base.jpg
    Last edited by Larry Blighton; 09-23-2019 at 8:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Blighton View Post
    I went and talked to the guy about the Delta 28-216 band saw . After talking to him for about 30 minutes he told me he would sell me the bandsaw a Box of blades A mobile base for $400
    You could do far worse than pick that one up for $400. My 14" Delta Bandsaw I bought new in 1996 for $650 is the last power tool I would give up.

Sounds like you got a good deal.