Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Those low life thugs !!!!! - a rant

Those low life thugs !!!!! - a rant

My 90 year old MIL who lives in a Senior Living Complex went to a local Walmart with several other seniors this afternoon. Transportation is provided by the Complex. Anyway, while they were there, she and another individual had their wallets picked. We called the lost/stolen # for her credit card within 90 minutes max. and the perpetrators had already tried 5 times to use the card. Each time for over $500.00. Thankfully, the CC company declined them all.

Walmart's security team has been very active in trying to locate surveillance footage of the incidents, so kudos to them. The PA State Police are interviewing the victims now. Unfortunately, they are both very rattled by the incident. I know seniors are easy targets, but give them some respect! How would these scumbags feel if it was their grandmother who had her wallet stolen? The chances of apprehending this/these individuals is fairly good.

Now we can begin the task of replacing her state issued ID and CC. Thankfully, we've managed to convince her to carry a CC instead of cash.

Sorry-I just can't believe the lack of respect for the elderly.

Blog Entries
    At least they weren't harmed and you stopped the cards.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Yikes. We've come to expect that in some parts of the world (e.g. Paris, France in the tourist areas)

People who prey on the elderly really are low on the human spectrum. I suspect they wouldn't care if it was their own grandmother - probably disowned the dirt bags years ago.

JKJ

It is actually interesting. One of the things the State Police did was ask for the name of the issuing bank for the CC. They indicated the bank can tell them where and when the attempted purchases occur. They then ask those establishments to review the surveillance video during that time and can often get an ID on the individual attempting to use the CC.

Obviously this can happen anywhere, but I’m guessing Lisa is referring to a Walmart I use.

The thieves may be long gone, but new ones are on the way.

Be vigilant. Thanks, Lisa.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Yikes. We've come to expect that in some parts of the world (e.g. Paris, France in the tourist areas)

People who prey on the elderly really are low on the human spectrum. I suspect they wouldn't care if it was their own grandmother - probably disowned the dirt bags years ago.

JKJ
    Once, when in Paris, a lady got on the subway at the last minute, and grabbed a lady’s purse and jumped off as the doors closed. The husband of the victim looked like an NFL linebacker. He grabbed the doors and pulled them open, jumped off, and tackled her. She was screaming for the police as he held her down, and the guy said, “yes, scream for the police!” It was beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Starr View Post
    It is actually interesting. One of the things the State Police did was ask for the name of the issuing bank for the CC. They indicated the bank can tell them where and when the attempted purchases occur. They then ask those establishments to review the surveillance video during that time and can often get an ID on the individual attempting to use the CC.
    I worked with the owner of a gas station several years ago. They had cameras at the register, and an elaborate procedure for any significant credit card purchase. Apparently the purchase of multiple cartons of cigarettes is a big red flag, because they can easily be resold by the thief.

The gas station owner said it was a big problem for them because the bank does not bear the loss if the thief is successful. The loss falls on the poor small businessman who did not realize the thief was using a stolen card.

The Paris subway has been a haven for pick pockets. A friend of mine lost his wallet there. The Louvre is another spot especially at the Mona Lisa. When I travel, I always assume that someone(usually a team) will try.

How would these scumbags feel if it was their grandmother who had her wallet stolen?
    They would be mad if someone else beat them to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gresham View Post
    Sad but likely true.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    At least they weren't harmed and you stopped the cards.
    This is the important part of the whole episode in that the thieves were only out the steal someones credit cards and not to do them physical injury. Since the purchasers were declined they were protected. If these seniors are on the internet I would be careful that they are protected from fraud while online.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gresham View Post
    They would really be mad if someone picked their own pocket.

Maybe teach her to use a decoy wallet in her purse and the cards and cash in a money pouch under the clothes. That's what I do when traveling. You can buy waist pouches if wearing pants with a belt, or pouches that loop around the neck and fit under your shirt. All these have zippers. Available at any airport or on Amazon. They are very thin and unobtrusive.

https://www.amazon.com/Travelon-Wome.../dp/B071F42Y8Q
    I use one similar to this but thinner, without the RFID protection:
    https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-.../dp/B00WTHJ3S2
    I also wear a leather money belt with a long metal zipper on the inside - a thief would have difficulty getting that.

JKJ

We've learned that there were individuals in the store at that time, other than my MIL and the other woman from her Senior Complex, that also "lost" their wallets. At the moment, it sounds like a total of 4 or 5 people were picked. My MIL doesn't carry a purse, so they were able to get the wallet out of her jacket pocket.

Spent a month working in St Petersburg Russia. Carried only a copy of my passport, and nothing that I was not prepared to loose that day.