Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Whats some of the things you wish you would of done sooner in your shop?

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Dirks View Post
    Just like the title says what should you of done sooner in your shop?
    ...Use it...

Seriously. I set my shop up and then did largely nothing for several years. Job, life, etc...
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

I wish I would have bought a larger CNC machine and wish I would figure out what I want to change relative to the current miter saw station to better leverage space in my shop for handling my client projects as well as my personal endeavors simultaneously. The third thing on the lest got taken care of today...the security system is now covering my shop.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Agree on the mini-split addition and LED lighting. I would have invested in a big (12"+) jointer or J/P combo and a good drum sander.

installing insulation in the walls before closing them up with paneling (1/4" OSB). Having to remove wall mounted cabinets, racks, shelves, etc. was a real pain in the tush but the reward was worth the effort.

I wish I had concentrated on making more furniture for my family sooner instead of putting all my effort into building my shop up first. I also wish that I could have bought more of the machines that I wanted to use for the rest of my life first instead of upgrading so many things and times. I am very blessed to have the shop I do now and still have plenty of time to build stuff for family and friends, so now it is project time . Working for a living just screws up so much that is important in life.

Should have put in a rotary phase converter straight off.

I would have built it 5 years sooner.

I would have built it bigger. It's 24x62 but 36x62 would be far better. Currently thinking of adding another 30-40' on the end, two story.

I would have added a bathroom and tiny kitchen at the time instead of planning an addition now.

And I would have poured an outside work slab at the time instead of adding one now. (20x40')

I might have hired someone to help install the 1/2" ply paneling and ceiling. As it is, I tell people I built the entire shop with my bare hands and it took a long time. (I lied about the bare hands, I actually used tools. And I hired a crane and friends to help put up the trusses/roof panels.)

Besides that, I'm happy with the result. I built it the first time with:
    incredible lighting,
    heat and air,
    powerful cyclone in a sound-insulated closet,
    piped compressed air,
    separate office,
    wide band internet with WiFi,
    personal cell tower (femtocell) for good reception,
    outside covered porch,
    separate welding and metalworking rooms,
    extra wood storage space,
    plywood walls so I can hang shelves and anything anywhere,
    2x6 studs for extra insulation in the walls,
    underground power,
    power outlets everywhere including the ceiling (for drop reels), 50 amp circuits in four places to the far end,
    emergency exit lights/sign inside,
    electrical and compressed air outlets outside,
    security lights outside,
    video surveillance,
    electronic door locks so I never need to carry a key.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I would have built it 5 years sooner.

I would have built it bigger. It's 24x62 but 36x62 would be far better. Currently thinking of adding another 30-40' on the end, two story.

I would have added a bathroom and tiny kitchen at the time instead of planning an addition now.

And I would have poured an outside work slab at the time instead of adding one now. (20x40')

I might have hired someone to help install the 1/2" ply paneling and ceiling. As it is, I tell people I built the entire shop with my bare hands and it took a long time. (I lied about the bare hands, I actually used tools. And I hired a crane and friends to help put up the trusses/roof panels.)

Besides that, I'm happy with the result. I built it the first time with:
    incredible lighting,
    heat and air,
    powerful cyclone in a sound-insulated closet,
    piped compressed air,
    separate office,
    wide band internet with WiFi,
    personal cell tower (femtocell) for good reception,
    outside covered porch,
    separate welding and metalworking rooms,
    extra wood storage space,
    plywood walls so I can hang shelves and anything anywhere,
    2x6 studs for extra insulation in the walls,
    underground power,
    power outlets everywhere including the ceiling (for drop reels), 50 amp circuits in four places to the far end,
    emergency exit lights/sign inside,
    electrical and compressed air outlets outside,
    security lights outside,
    video surveillance,
    electronic door locks so I never need to carry a key.

JKJ

Wow, that sounds like an amazing shop!

Envious...
    Nice shop

I wish I had not listened to all the hype on some of the tools I bought and thought it out before I purchased. Some of the things I had bought have never been used. Unwise purchases. Could have used the money on better quality tools.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Mac View Post
    Wow, that sounds like an amazing shop!
    Thanks, it is, to me! After 40+ years in tiny shops this is a dream come true. I'm thankful every day for the blessing.

I built it down by the barn so I can easily keep an eye on the llamas and alpacas and mini donkeys and peacocks and... I bought a used skid steer mostly to prep the site. Doing everything myself was a HUGE saving but did take several years.

Before I put in the first stick of rebar I read everything I could to avoid making big mistakes, then I while putting in the concrete, roof, and walls I spent a year filling up a notebook with plans and drawings organizing to best use the space - doors, tools, wiring, lights.

Clearing_2012-08-09_19-32-4.jpg

posts_AA042_2012-11-16_16-1.jpg shop_wall_construction_A.jpg concrete_rebar.jpg

layout_paper_2.jpg

shop_floorplan.jpg shop_llamas_IMG_20150422_08_re.jpg

Good clean fun!

JKJ

I wish I had done a raised wooden floor rather than the slab. I am not uncomfortable on the slab, but the ability to have dust collection and electrical in various and moveable locations would have greatly improved flexibility.

I wish that I had built a separate, dust proof, heated room [maybe 6X10 feet] for applying surface material like varnish , shellac etc. Now I cannot do anything else in my shop when finishes are drying.

I agree with the LED lighting. We recently retrofitted LED bulbs into the seven 48" four bulb fluorescent fixtures in our 24 x 24 shop. It literally is like night and day. Before, bulbs were always out, ballasts would go bad. Now, we walk in , flip the switch and have all of the light that we need.
    Last edited by Erich Elfeldt; 09-22-2019 at 1:01 PM.

Blog Entries
    I converted my table saw to 240 volt. It make a huge difference.

I would post in the off topic forum as well. You may find some help. That being said a good band saw and thickness planer will do the job. I have both and they are joy to use. This is the one I have, and it is good.

Google "thickness planer.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-1...W734/100634640

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHj1PUWoZZI