Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Whats some of the things you wish you would of done sooner in your shop?

After dust collection with automatic control, my next best improvement was when I figured to put a thermostat with remote bulb above wall mounted gas heater. When heater comes on, air cleaner circulates heat around the shop.

This. See photos. These irritating shelves killed maybe 15% of the shop.

Also, I'm getting 100-amp wiring put in today. That will be fantastic.

09 22 19 workshop shelf move project 01 small.jpg

09 22 19 workshop shelf move project 03 small.jpg

09 22 19 workshop shelf move project 07 small.jpg
    Cry "Havoc," and let slip the dogs of bench.

I was socially distant before it was cool.

A little authority corrupts a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Dirks View Post
    I have seen several people mention dust collection now what do you guys recommend?
    Right now have a smaller roll around double bag one.

Have been debating if a bigger system is worth cost?
    Jim is right, discussing this in Workshops is probably better. I'll simply state that I put a 5-hp ClearVue cyclone in a sound-reducing closet and I would hate to work in the shop without it. Your lungs will thank you, if not now, then later. Be glad to provide more details elsewhere if you want.

JKJ

If I were doing new construction or doing a major renovation to a shop/garage then I would not use any sheet-rock on the walls and would opt for 7/16" OSB. You can trim it out in 1x2 and 1x4 and just shoot it all white, ceiling to.
    Now this could create a little bit more of a problem for running outlets, switches and such, for some. Or you could just use EMT conduit and mount all the boxes on top of the 7/16" OSB, that way in the future if you had to add an additional outlet for whatever reason then just add it to the outside of the wall, run conduit up into the attic and you are done!!
    If you think about it this would also be a better solution for the panel-board(s) as well, keeping them on the top/or inside wall, instead or recessed into the wall, which would also eliminate cheese-holing a top plate for wiring. It would be the same principal as all of the outlet boxes, conduit into the ceiling/attic area and done.

Quote Originally Posted by Jak Kelly View Post
    If I were doing new construction or doing a major renovation to a shop/garage then I would not use any sheet-rock on the walls and would opt for 7/16" OSB. You can trim it out in 1x2 and 1x4 and just shoot it all white, ceiling to.
    Now this could create a little bit more of a problem for running outlets, switches and such, for some.
    I paneled and ceilinged (is that a word) my shop in 1/2" Radiatia pine plywood. Very smooth surfaces and the price is negotiable by the bundle.

I can hang anything anywhere. Wiring, compressed air, ethernet, security camera lines, and DC ducts are behind and above the plywood.

I mounted all panels with deck screws. This way, I can take any panel down to repair or modify wiring or air lines. I did this twice in one spot when swapping a 115v lathe with a 220v lathe.

panel_jack_IMG_20150106_185527_791.jpg

I think the ply adds to the rigidity of the structure too. 2x6 studs, 1/2" ply inside, SmartSide panels over OSB on the outside.

JKJ

You need to be careful when putting OSB into the walls of an attached garage. A lot of places code requires that the walls be fire-resistent, which OSB is not, but drywall is. If it's a detached building, knock yourself out.

I have always bought tools when I needed them for a project for the family. I've loosened up some but still pretty much do that. But I really like my SawStop and wish I'd purchased a nicer table saw sooner - not necessarily a SawStop. But it didn't stop me. I am still determining what is enough of a dust collector. A 1hp Delta was not enough. So far the 2hp HF looks promising but I haven't gotten it fully installed yet nor have I done enough measurements to be sure - for me. But for me I don't exactly think of it as things I should have done earlier. Sometimes I have to try things to know what works for me and what I want to improve on. For instance, a hollow chisel mortiser was not a bad buy, it works, but now that I have a Domino XL, I will probably sell the hollow chisel. I need to be careful how I use space to make 14x24 work. But with me spilling out into the car garage when necessary it isn't holding me back.

Blog Entries
    I moved three years ago and built a new basement shop. Things I did in the new shop:
    — led lights. 4’ fluorescent tubes were installed ad hot and dingy
    — covered all walls with OSB. Now I can drive a screw anywhere.
    — all wiring exposed. Aforementioned screws won’t hit anything.
    — no HVAC return in shop. I have a 20x24 opening to a stairwell with a hepa filter. I have two vents in the basement. Almost no dust in the HVAC system or upstairs. Wife hasn’t complained about the noise so I guess it’s ok.
    —no closed cupboards or drawers except for a cabinet of nuts/bolts and such. All tools are out and visible.