Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Whats some of the things you wish you would of done sooner in your shop?

Bought a band saw.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Dust collection was one of the single biggest improvements in my shop.

SEVERAL THINGS
    Should have thought and planned more before building it. Mistakenly thought when I was younger if I put enough gravel over the top of the black dirt and clay it would be alright. The unheated half of it heaves every winter and typically does not go back down so my roof line is a little unlevel. Also should have positioned building differently, In the winter I get ice buildup in front of overhead doors from melting snow on roof.
    Should have dust collection system up and running soon after many years of thinking and planning and learning from what others here have done

Also as others said wish I would have used it more. I have a shop with many nice tools but between life and work I dont get much time to be out there.That will change in a couple years when I retire.

After years of pondering what to do with my shop I recently came up with a plan to raise building, cut poles off ,jack hammer out floor , dig out crappy dirt and put in a floating slab over good class 5 fill. MY WIFE said if you are going to do all of that why dont you just tear it down start over and build what you really want. SMART WOMAN I think I will keep her

I have seen several people mention dust collection now what do you guys recommend?
    Right now have a smaller roll around double bag one.

Have been debating if a bigger system is worth cost?

Nicholas, there are extensive dust collection discussions in the Workshop forum area that you might want to browse. I kept this thread here even though it's workshop oriented because it has a broad, general appeal in many areas, but your specific question about dust collection is best put in the Workshops area.

Jim
    Forum Moderator

I wish I had never collected wood that I did not have a purpose for. After 47 years of collecting, I'm drowning in lumber and turning blanks. And turning 67 next week, I won't touch a fraction of it anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    I wish I had never collected wood that I did not have a purpose for. After 47 years of collecting, I'm drowning in lumber and turning blanks. And turning 67 next week, I won't touch a fraction of it anymore.
    Unless you've fallen in love with every piece it's no problem to re-home. I take turning blanks to the turning club every year for our annual auction, five tubs full this year. Brings in a lot of money to the club for programs and outreach, and it puts good wood on the lathes of some people who have trouble finding wood, especially new turners.

JKJ

For me it was putting wooden legs on my Shopsmith which I use for turning banjo rims, horizontal drilling and disc sanding. I am 7 feet tall and bending over it was tiring to my back after a while. I used 8/4 ash for the legs and put it more than a foot higher, now it's much more comfortable and I get less vibration. I sold the metal legs and casters on eBay so it didn't even cost anything.
    Zach

central dust collection..........

Blog Entries
    Dust Collection. I am now on daily medication for the rest of my life. This should be Number One on EVERYONE's list of answers to these sorts of questions ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Made some money

Ha! It was threads like these that helped me decided what I wanted/needed the first time around! And throughout the entire shop build out the worst of regrets was usually nothing more than: "Welp, guess I have to resell this tool as I should have just gone with the higher end/more expensive one I wanted from the start!" Once I learned that lesson a couple of times, I just waited on any other purchase until I had the money for the one I wanted. That and using a to-scale CAD drawing app, even one as simple at Microsoft Visio, to accurately layout out the shop floor plan was the most important and useful tool of them in planning out the entire shop before I ever bought a single tool or ducting.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Thankfully, i had the foresight to invest in DC very early on. I am in a basement, so it was top of my mind from day one. I cringe when i think about cutting MDF trim in the basement under a single incandescent bulb for 2-3 months before educating myself. that said, i had a JDS air cleaner and 3hp cyclone before i had a cabinet saw or stationary planer.

Heres my input split between my specific situation, and broader remarks to the general population.

Me: I should have bit the bullet and cut in a double door into my garage instead of the current single door. Oh the struggles ive had moving in a 20" jointer, 20" bandsaw, Felder KF700, and on and on through that god forsaken door. My basement is technically on grade, but that door really sucks. not to mention ive passed on better/less expensive tools because i cant fit them through the door. I would have put the cyclone and associated bin closer to the door instead of about as far away from the door as it can possibly be. I have no idea why i did that. Really kinda wish i upgraded my service at some point. I still havent done it because its a few grand and now im about a grand into VFDs, but being limited to a 60amp subpanel really sucks. If I could go back a few years, i would have spent the money on upgrading the primary service from 100 amps, cut the wider door, and probably setup a rotary converter. Im currently split 50:50 on single phase tools to three phase, and like i said, ive passed on some fantastic deals because of their power requirements or size. I really hope the next house has room for a 30x40 with high ceilings, a tall roll up door, a forklift, and plenty of power.

General: Taking the time to come up with a thought out and reasoned layout. I didnt do this for years, and then last year i blew everything up and spent two weekends changing duct work, electrical, and moving big tools. I am so so happy i bit the bullet. Next, for years i worked in a semi-dark, awful looking space. Brown and yellow tile floors, dingey block walls--i didnt realize how depressing it was. During the big shop reorganization, I spent the money and laid down commercial rubber flooring, and put up slatwall along with shelves and accessories. Once again, it makes it much more enjoyable to be in the space. For many years i was so focused on better and better tools, that i overlooked the aesthetic condition of the space i was working in. Spend some money on paint, flooring, and lights. It makes a big difference. I dont know if i like or hate hoarding wood. I definitely hate moving it and tripping over it, but it is very comforting to know I have more than enough material to last me for years of building. Same for when I start a project. I never make a list and go to the lumber yard an hour away. I just go to my shop and look at the lumber racks.

That was the point for picking up that wood, I fell in love with all of it! Real tough yet to give away burls and highly figured wood. There's not a dog in the bunch!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    That was the point for picking up that wood, I fell in love with all of it! Real tough yet to give away burls and highly figured wood. There's not a dog in the bunch!
    Then if you know you'll never turn it in your lifetime better make some plans now! Would be sad for some estate executor or offspring to throw it all in the burn pile.

At the moment, mine is in a memorandum attached to the will (lawyer's idea) that any the offspring don't want to goes to the turning club for sale or auction. I also have a huge stock, shelf unit after shelf unit full of exotics, figured, burls, and dry domestics.

You could always have a sale and take a nice vacation. Or a lot easier, sell off some to a wood dealer.

JKJ