Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lining metal vise jaws

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Franklin View Post
    Not leather, but I like rubberized cork, which you can get from McMaster. It's very durable and very grippy.

McMaster calls it: Water-Resistant Low-Pressure Rubber/Cork Gasket Material. 1/8 works for me, but various thicknesses are available.
    Derek Cohen just flagged something similar in a different post, from Benchcrafted, called Crubber. Good to know MMC has it too. Thanks.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I didnt know of Tandy until it was mentioned here, but they do in fact have a store on the east side of Pittsburgh. I ended up sending note to the local upholster thati used a year ago for my Morris chairs and ottomans. Probably didnt hurt i spent $2500+ on the leather upholstery back then, but he told me to come down and take what i wanted. i have a piece that should give me enough to line both Emmerts and then some leftover that i may apply to my wooden vise chops. Not sure if that helps anyone in the future, but its worth reaching out to an upholster to see if they have "scraps".

Aside from spraying adhesive directly on to the metal jaws, whats everyone's preferred method of applying it? I was thinking of using spray adhesive for the leather to a wood substrate, and then bolt the wood to the jaw. Im thinking about trying the magnet sheet idea i read somewhere as well. Glue to the magnet, and then stick the magnet to the metal jaws. Wood might just be simpler than trying to source magnet sheeting.

If you could have used Purple, I could have hooked you up. A lady near us, that made custom handbags, was moving away, and going out of that business. Pam bought maybe 150 pounds of leather from her for next to nothing.

I bought some magnet sheets, off ebay I think, for making movable covers for the blade tilt slot in my old Unisaw for dust collection. I hadn't thought about it before, but that material, by itself, looks like it would be good for vise faces. It's some sort of synthetic "rubber" that has a very little bit of give to it.

I use a pair of pieces made of pine

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Kane View Post
    For the life of me, i cannot find an affordable source of leather to line the jaws of my vise. I searched through a few threads here over the last decade and they all lauded the merits of vises lined with leather, but sadly none had a source for the material. Anyone have a source they would like to share? I have two emmert's i need to line. I could do poplar or cedar faces, but i want to see what all the hub hub is about with leather.
    I simply use a pair of pieces made of soft pine with three strong rare earth magnets each in it's back to fix onto the vise metal jaws.

The pine exposed surface was hand planned with a toothed iron to increase grip.

It works to me.