Thread: Tool post

Tool post

I am looking to add a tool post for use with my Jet 1642 EVS lathe and either a Monster articulated hollowing system or a Jamieson style captive hollowing system. I have the stock tool rest that came with the lathe and even when it is fully lowered in the banjo, it is too tall to have the tools be on center when using the hollowing systems. This is because of shape of the tool rest which interferes with the banjo (see pic). I have purchased a Robust tool rest previously, a 4 inch one, and that tool post has been too short for regular turning (not hollowing). I would consider a longer Robust tool rest but it would be nice if it could be used either with or without the hollowing systems.

What do others recommend for tool rests for this lathe? There seem to be several options out there but none get very good reviews.

41Y12EV06AL._AC_.jpg

I have a Jet 1642 that I use with my Jamieson hollowing rig. The Jet tool rest works without modification.
    P.S. I believe the Monster articulated system is no longer being made so unless you have a source for a used Monster you will have to look at other articulated rigs.

3. Ditto what Dwight said with respect to the Jet 1642.

I have a Jet 1642 with a crudely constructed Jaimeson style hollowing rig. I use a 1"round tool rest to guide the hollower. I bought that rest years ago and never really cared for it so it is relegated to use for the hollower. Even so, I never had a problem using the stock Jet rest that came with the lathe.

If you need to go lower as mentioned in the OP, I believe Robust has several different styles that will allow a lower position.

IMG_3593.jpg

IMG_3590ec.jpg
    Last edited by Dick Mahany; 09-20-2019 at 4:38 PM.
    Dick Mahany.

Have a welder and metal-working tools or know someone who does? I've made several custom tool rests using 1" round bar stock for the post.