Thread: First outdoor table

First outdoor table

A neighbor friend asked if I could build him a table to surround his umbrella/stand. I had some african mahogany left over from a previous project and never having made outdoor furniture, gave it a go. Laminated legs and top with breadboard ends and mortise and tenon aprons.. draw bored.

Used Titebond III and finished with a mixture I saw on a video; turpentine, BLO, and melted canning wax. I was most concerned with the open grain left by the pole hole, so smeared epoxy on it. The friend doesn’t care if it grays over time. I’m anxious to see how it holds up in the sun, rain and snow.

4AEC2C58-8008-4C01-B588-369CA7164A55.jpg

(sorry, sideways phone pic)

That looks very nice, Phil. I'm interested how it fares, too. African mahogany is a good choice.

John

Very nice!
    Chris

Nice Phil! Drawboring is fun. A little bit tense when you are banging home the pin and hoping you do not hear any cracking noises. Something I noticed on a recent drawbored project was that the pin coming out the bottom of the hole did not fill the hole. I was not sure if the taper was too much or that when getting forced past the tenon the pin is crushed a bit smaller. I did steam the bottom of the pins and it did seem to help expand the pins to fill the hole.

Thanks all.

John, I’ll follow up after the winter and share the success or failure!

And yes, Mark, I do enjoy it, but when the pounding starts, you are committed. So here’s a learning experience; the first time I draw bored, I wasn’t thinking and had the pieces on my bench and start pounding away...darn pin won’t go in!!!, panic and keep pounding. Of course I discover that I pounded giant dents into my bench top. The now epoxy filled holes in my bench are a constant reminder.

Good one Phil!