Thread: need a question answered on new table saw

need a question answered on new table saw

I know this might sound like a crazy question,,but I up graded tables saws from a delta 7491rs to a grizzly go833p which is 220,,i went to start it and pushed the start button and it would not start,,needless to say it wasn't pluged up,,as soon as I plugged it up the saw started from when I tried to start it before I noticed it being unplugged,,the dewalt saw never did this,,,the motor would not engage or lock into a start mode before it was pluged up,,,seems kinda dangerous,,is this the way Its supposed to be,,any thoughts or infro would be a blessing,,thank you

Blog Entries
    That does not appear to be a magnetic starter on that saw so yes, if the switch is in the "on" position, it will start. The switch does allow for a pin or lock to lock-out (secure) the switch if you desire.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Jeff:

As a follow-up to Glenn’s reply, you may wish to consider installing a magnetic switch to replace the original switch. This would enhance safety since the saw cannot inadvertently start again after the power has been interrupted.

Regards,

J.

You know, the light only just now went off for me on why mag starters are used.

I have them on most of my equipment. But never knew, 'why'.

Yes, in this case I agree - a tablesaw would be a good thing to have a mag starter on, so that it doesnt turn on when not expected. Safety.

My newer Grizzly has this feature, but not my 35 year old Craftsman table saw. I don't if it is a particular switch that Grizzly uses, or actually a magnetic starter. I just looked it up and they call it a "Magnetic safety switch is standard", not a magnetic starter. Does anyone know what the difference is between the two?
    Thanks,
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Beckett View Post
    You know, the light only just now went off for me on why mag starters are used.

I have them on most of my equipment. But never knew, 'why'.

Yes, in this case I agree - a tablesaw would be a good thing to have a mag starter on, so that it doesnt turn on when not expected. Safety.
    Magnetic switch came standard on one of my band saws, switched to one on the other BS, the table saw, added to the old DeWalt RAS. When i built my router table, i put a magnetic switch with a pigtail to plug the router into--definitely DO NOT want that to come back on as a surprise. For any of them, a momentary loss of power is distracting--then when gate switches on the feed try to restore (the 2 or 3 times the lights go off then on), probably more dangerous than a single extended outage.
    earl
    earl

Blog Entries
    The switch I put on my router table is not a magnetic starter, but is a magnetically held switch. If the power fails, the contacts open & the switch has to be manually turned back on when power is restored.