Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Wadkin DM

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    I don't cut mortises through in one shot, it runs to high a risk of breaking out on the backside. So I always cut both sides toward center.
    A masterful way to do it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I don't cut mortises through in one shot, it runs to high a risk of breaking out on the backside. So I always cut both sides toward center.
    I go all the way through, but I still have to profile the exit side any way.

Blog Entries
    Darcy, that’s for parts that are going to get molded I assume?
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Darcy, that’s for parts that are going to get molded I assume?
    Yes, stickings. Like sash parts, door parts, etc. Just the way that stuff works out faster. Punch holes fast with chain mortiser, do sticking, do tenons.

Blog Entries
    Ah, how cleanly does the chain mortiser typically break through?

Blog Entries
    Better, but still needs some work. This will come in handy for fixturing, I have one operation I routinely cut that is suitable to a horizontal machine and this solves that now.

I did some hogging first and that took the slab out of flat, but a light cut brought this area back to flat.

Then I milled the top parallel again. I actually got it parallel to .001” but it’s not perfectly flat so I will bring it for surface grinding. Also the step-over, wouldn’t mind getting rid of that.

Btw, Kurt manufacturing impresses the heck out of me. These vises are easily 20 years apart in manufacturing and my indicator does not even move when I sweep over them from vise to vise.

Ah, how cleanly does the chain mortiser typically break through?
    Fairly clean, clean enough that the sticking makes anything dissapear

Brian: Any chance of some photos of the parts you routinely crank out with the various M&T machines you have put in the fleet lately?
    David

Blog Entries
    David,

Here are some double mortises via the Maka. I cut the haunches on the router table. It can be done in the Maka also but was easier for me to cut them this way given that they are 8’ long.

Blog Entries
    Recent job on the Wadkin, you can probably see now my logic behind adding that plate. On a job like this I’ll still need to block it up slightly but no jig, just remove the clamp and use fast clamps.

Thanks Brian. How'd you cut the tenons?
    David

Blog Entries
    My pleasure! I cut them with a router table and a good number of setups, hah. Those sticks are molded profiles.

Cutting tenons with a router table drove me to hand cutting. Mortising with a router table and loose tenons were OK, but TS tenons were less fuss for me than routed tenons. The allure of the machined M&T work was for me when there were lots and lots to do, but a typical single piece of furniture is handled just fine by hand for me. I never had the pleasure of working with the level of equipment you and some of the other guys are using, but remain fascinated in the descriptions of the machines, their setups and use.
    David

Blog Entries
    I find it actually pretty easy but I have a good number of tricks. I use a big surfacing bit and a miter gauge. The stock prep must very accurate and the end chops must be very square. The router table fence is setup so that it is square to x-travel and square to the table.

Brian, I had a time with my DM yesterday. It’s a rare occasion in door and window work to chop a 1/4” mortise. A while back I bought a 1/4” chisel from LV. The bushings I have were not even close and my retired machinist friend made one out of brass on his mini lathe.

Working on some small sash that require this size and I thought a good time to finish the bushing and set it up. The 1/4” that came with my machine was toast. My DM came with a inner bushing to work with the 5/8” shanks of the smaller chisels. This worked with the small bits that came with the machine but would not hold with the new LV chisel. Almost ruined the new one when it slipped! Upon close inspection the new one is slightly smaller at the shank than the originals. I tried several things including smaller washers and finally put my original chisel holder in and with wrenching tighter than you should I got it to hold.

You mentioned Axminister and I looked at their site and see they offer the small chisels with the larger shank. I could not find a bushing to fit the 5/8” plus or minus on the UK venders. This is frustrating, I may give them a shot and hope I come up with something that that works.

6C7E7300-5E18-432E-B770-5F828C3E58AE.jpg
    5A006C15-3141-44A7-972F-CD67DAA98BCC.jpg