Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Wadkin DM

I think we probably talked about this previously, Brian, but I can't remember...do they have a Will-Call service that you could pick up an order rather than deal with shipping since you are nearby?
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    They do have a will call, comes in handy at times.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Blog Entries
    I’ve taken a short break from writing love letters to the manufacturer of these bolts, to get a few things complete and to scrap that ugly lever I designed. Thankfully I found a way forward.

C9149A50-C0F1-41F8-80E2-B21516D4E5D1.jpg

I got busy making this part which retains the shaft. It’s complete less a dowel pin which will position the roller bearing.

7B0A1337-CCAC-4C47-A769-360F2BB00052.jpg

Once finished with the machine work they were lapped to a modest polish.

4B3AA6F5-11AD-40BE-A65C-51D95E1AF4E2.jpg

That's...pretty much a work of art there, Brian...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Thanks, Jim!

You do very nice work Brian!
    I have no metalworking machines, nor the skills, beyond an angle grinder and files.
    I do wish I had a metal lathe and milling machine...
    My son is graduating from Machine Technology- machine shop at a local vocational school this year though.
    I bet if I bought the machines I could get HIM to teach ME a few things.

I think having your son as a machinist is a great opportunity Peter! I have also become interested in metalworking after doing a couple machine restores. I would like to learn more and acquire some machines but already have trouble finding time for everything I’m involved with now!

if you notice Brian is making 2 of these. I am excited to have a Brian Holcombe original in my shop!

I'm in the same boat, interested in metalworking but no skill and no time. Bought a Smart and Brown lathe and Rambaudi UR60 vertical horizontal mill but they have been sitting more than working. Go Brian! Dave

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    I'm in the same boat, interested in metalworking but no skill and no time. Bought a Smart and Brown lathe and Rambaudi UR60 vertical horizontal mill but they have been sitting more than working. Go Brian! Dave
    I got the lathe, surface grinder, OD grinder and now a mill, the space for a nice machine shop, but no time to get it all set up.

Blog Entries
    Thanks, gents! My pleasure, Joe!

Its not the machinery that is the challenge, much like woodworking it’s the tooling and measuring equipment. The Maka caused me to tool up a bit and each further job gives me the excuse to tool
    up a bit more.

I do hesitate to come near that tool chest with a calculator however.

Blog Entries
    The plunger must push about 3/16” to give full air flow. It worked with my plans to use a 1/2” bearing and I thought that would do ok. Unfortunately I can only get about .140” travel at current. Next size bearing on this same shaft is 11/16” od and slightly wider. Hopefully they will do it.

Finished the additional pin which prevents rotation. That took a specialized Albrecht mini Chuck, carbide twist bit and reamer to get in along side the back.

It should now be more obvious as to why I had to make this setup for this whole ordeal to work.

954A0186-74FA-4EED-B869-09466FE0F127.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    The plunger must push about 3/16” to give full air flow. It worked with my plans to use a 1/2” bearing and I thought that would do ok. Unfortunately I can only get about .140” travel at current. Next size bearing on this same shaft is 11/16” od and slightly wider. Hopefully they will do it....
    I wouldn't expect a round cam, installed as you have it, to give me any more travel than 1/4 of the cam's OD. The seemingly sharp edge of the contact point (way?) will probably only work if it hits at 45deg (or less) from tangent...??

You might get more and smoother travel by using a 'ramp' to contact the cam?
    Last edited by Malcolm McLeod; 01-14-2020 at 1:13 PM.

Blog Entries
    I think I will break that edge with a file and see if that improves things, it may not take much to make a successful ramp.

Blog Entries
    Working beautifully, now so I finished filing and graining the aluminum and polishing the brass parts I made (decided to leave the hardware as is). I left some of the machining marks if they were really nice but if I had to do multiple passes then I prefer graining. I do that on a surface plate so that it doesn't mess up the accuracy of the part.

Next I have to make the holder.

Qx4Yt6YCQBu3uHK9lRvB+g.jpg

l3NpVHxNSEmAbsT5iQsEyg.jpg

Qc+X560uRnaArs9D3iVx3w.jpgQc+X560uRnaArs9D3iVx3w.jpg

hmmmm .... I must have clicked the wrong button. This seems to be the jewelry forum.

....Gotta go look for the Power Tools.