Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Wadkin DM

Clearly, you've got grander plans - and the machine tools to execute them, but for mere mortals there are several manufacturers that offer roller cam actuated valves (i.e. this is the cam for a range of valves).

You'd still be faced with some means of mounting it, but this might be manageable for most users?

Blog Entries
    That would work fine, I suspect. Overkilled seemed appropriate in this case.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Blog Entries
    Process continues and I realized my current failings and changed my design a touch to accommodate them.

I thought the roller bearing alone would do it, but it doesn't quite give me the travel needed without making the ramp up too harsh. So, 'easy' fix, I will built a rotating ramp.

The 'pistons' are smooth as can be, they're 52000 series bearing rod riding in 1.5" of graphite bronze bearings. The tops are stainless riding in graphite bronze. Everything reamed in one position on the mill, so it is really smooth as can be.

The air solenoid has a spring, so probably the internal spring was redundant but a little extra help can't hurt.

OrL8qk9FSNuoeyrjuLFeOw.jpg

Image 1-6-20 at 3.14 PM.jpg
    Last edited by Brian Holcombe; 01-06-2020 at 3:23 PM.

I'm not sure what's going on, but I do love me some mcmaster carr too.

Blog Entries
    It’s a fancy extension to a rod actuator. I needed to find a way to actuate from the contact point, to the actuator without putting everything up too high. The contact location is a bit awkward to reach, hence my approach.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    It’s a fancy extension to a rod actuator. I needed to find a way to actuate from the contact point, to the actuator without putting everything up too high. The contact location is a bit awkward to reach, hence my approach.
    Right and mcmaster carr is helping. Lol.

Blog Entries
    Quite a bit!

I think that Brian has the equivalent one of McMaster's remote warehouses in his shop now as there's such frequent interchange of "stuff" for money. Pretty soon, they will be installing a conveyor belt right to his door.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    A conveyer belt to the door sounds nice

Yea, I don't think there's been a single time I've visited that you didn't have a nice new package from McMaster sitting there with new goodies inside. LOL
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Be still my beating heart.

FF866FA1-A02D-4673-867C-42A16859EA10.jpg

Knowing McMaster prices, I have to look at a pile like that on my bench and exclaim, "Be beating my still heart!"

Jeez Brian, If you ever get completely up and running, they will have to fell the Amazon to keep up with you.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post
    Knowing McMaster prices, I have to look at a pile like that on my bench and exclaim, "Be beating my still heart!"
    Honestly, for most things I find their prices reasonable, but I am not just buying stuff I could get at the hardware store.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post

Quote Originally Posted by David Eisenhauer View Post
    Jeez Brian, If you ever get completely up and running, they will have to fell the Amazon to keep up with you.
    Hehe, I appreciate your confident!

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    Honestly, for most things I find their prices reasonable, but I am not just buying stuff I could get at the hardware store.
    This is my experience as well, jokes aside I usually check against prices for quality stuff on Amazon. McMaster's real advantage is that everything is next day service (I'm down the street, so that makes it better or worse depending on one's perspective) and anymore the pricing is pretty competitive so long as the comparisons are fair. Plus they have drawings of everything, so that makes planning my projects out way easier. Nice to be able to see something like the tolerance on a shouldered bolt's shaft.

They're very competitive on some things like larger custom shafts. I needed a couple shafts for Patrick's job and having them made locally would have been absurd for a one-piece run.