Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Milwaukee 24" framing square

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Is squaring up a framing square a lost art now? Well hardly an art, just normal procedure.

It used to be standard practice to check then adjust a square if needed, either when new or if dropped or abused. All that is needed is a hammer and a punch. If not familiar with this, ask Da Google. It's not rocket science.

JKJ
    That's the way Dad taught me to do it.

No, I didn't look at any videos. I find many worthless and a huge waste of time.

Don't forget a framing square made for framing. If needing better than 1/1000" it might be best to invest in a large machinist square. Starrett has a nice one for less than $2000. https://www.starrett.com/metrology/product-detail/20-24

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Will Blick View Post
    I asked Dr. Google...
    I found this...

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...VgUZ8jfXkD4OGX

Is this what you refer to?
    I am trying to find less than .001" variances vs. a damn good benchmark. In the method u mention, the benchmark variables of the test are many, 1) how straight the cut line u are referencing, as u have to reference opposite sides of the line when flipping the square to draw the pencil lines; 2) the pencil line thickness, angle of drawing it, etc., 3) Your eyes ability to see tiny differences in the pencil lines.

In my case, instead of a cut line, I used a starett straight edge, not sure how a refernce line can be any better. Then I compared the two edges.

For a rough check, such as for construction framing, sure the method in the youtube video which Dr. Google revealed, is more than adequate.

Also, I was not trying to "square a frame", I was simply checking the squareness against a known reference. I can not fathom taking a hammer and punch to alum this thick and trying to adjust its squareness. I can see this with thin squares as shown in the youtube link above.

these squares are not in my local HDs...
    special order only...
    are they at your local HD's ?

Every single one I've been in in GA, and SC have them. But HD is headquartered right down the street so that prob has something to do with it.

You can check stock for your zip code and by store. I first saw them last month , so they may not be fully rolled out yet.
    Last edited by Dave Sabo; 09-22-2019 at 9:06 PM.

> Don't forget a framing square made for framing. If needing better than 1/1000" it might be best to invest in a large machinist square. Starrett has a nice one for less than $2000.

I can only assume u are not reading my posts.
    I clearly stated, greater than .001" per ft is beyond what ww would ever need. So not sure why are suggesting a $2k Starrett square.
    There is intermediate companies between Starrett and HD $20 framing squares, such as WP's, which is all ww would ever need.

Taking a step backwards, the purpose of my post was quite simple...
    To alert fellow Creekers of a VERY accurate square, of very low cost. As the thread revealed, most low cost squares, are not that accurate for fine woodworking. The MLW square I bought, as it turned out, was remarkably square for 1/8th the price of most alternatives. I thought that was the purpose of the forum, to share good finds that others can take advantage of.

Not sure how the thread took a turn for the worst, but hopefully some people have benefitted from the information I have provided. I will refrain from posting this type of information in the future.

Don't worry about it! I appreciate your testing and I understand and can sympathize with your methods and musings.

Yes, a framing square is intended for framing, but good lord, if you can get it within .001" and keep it there, why would you not use it, appreciate and value it as an accurate tool. It's really practical and handy to have a 16"x24" square that is actually square that you can count on around the shop for a variety of tasks.

I'm glad you posted this and hopefully most of them are machined as well as this one.
    Still waters run deep.

thx Phillip,
    I agree, and therein lies the purpose of thead... a cheap large SQuare that is square! Very useful!
    somehow, the thread shifted gears into, how to square a square with a hammer and a punch. Using, a $2k square as an alternative, when I just demonstrated a $25 one is good enough for fine woodworking!
    Gotta love the internet!

I'm not trying to be combative or belittle your discovery. Stating experiences and opinions is the foundation of these discussion forums. Anyone can join in and anyone can benefit or ignore any post.

My point was it is easy to adjust a framing square to be within 0.001" per foot. Someone who wants more precision than that might consider a precision square. The Starrett referenced was an extreme example not intended to be considered seriously for woodworking where angles can change daily with temperature and humidity. For my machine shop I use some quite inexpensive machinist squares. But even with the cheap ones I could not detect any error with a dial test indicator. I don't use these for wood and I don't use the framing square for machining (although it is great for setting up to weld something large!)

My experience with framing squares is similar to some others - the precision is variable, almost the luck of the draw. I once carried a precision square and tested several framing squares of the same brand in the store. Almost all were different - a very accurate square may have an inactive brother in on the same rack. Not a problem since they are all easily adjusted. (And keep in mind any framing square may have to be re-adjusted on occasion.)

JKJ

> Don't forget a framing square made for framing. If needing better than 1/1000" it might be best to invest in a large machinist square. Starrett has a nice one for less than $2000.

I can only assume u are not reading my posts.
    I clearly stated, greater than .001" per ft is beyond what ww would ever need. So not sure why are suggesting a $2k Starrett square.
    There is intermediate companies between Starrett and HD $20 framing squares, such as WP's, which is all ww would ever need.

Taking a step backwards, the purpose of my post was quite simple...
    To alert fellow Creekers of a VERY accurate square, of very low cost. As the thread revealed, most low cost squares, are not that accurate for fine woodworking. The MLW square I bought, as it turned out, was remarkably square for 1/8th the price of most alternatives. I thought that was the purpose of the forum, to share good finds that others can take advantage of.

Not sure how the thread took a turn for the worst, but hopefully some people have benefitted from the information I have provided. I will refrain from posting this type of information in the future.

They do indeed appear to be stamped after viewing one in my local store.

thx Phillip,
    I agree, and therein lies the purpose of thead... a cheap large SQuare that is square! Very useful!
    somehow, the thread shifted gears into, how to square a square with a hammer and a punch. Using, a $2k square as an alternative, when I just demonstrated a $25 one is good enough for fine woodworking!
    Gotta love the internet!
    I appreciated your tip. Thank you.

Yes, threads like this meander - gotta get used to that because it happens all the time.

John Jordan is one of the nicest, most helpful people on this forum. You can be sure that if he responds to a post, he is only trying to help. Watch his posts for a while and you'll see. A genuinely nice man.

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Thx Fred...
    as u can tell from the number of posts, I am not a newb to forums...
    but I did spend many years not posting for different reasons...
    it is amazing how quickly a thread can fall off the rails
    When I start a post, I feel somewhat obligated to keep the thread somewhat focused. Of course, I get the sidetracks, which are often fine.
    I dont doubt JJ is a super nice guy... I was just trying to prevent the thread from becoming something its title did not represent.
    Your kind and civil input is appreciated.