Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Should I buy my wireless router

Blog Entries
    I spoke to Verizon today and they said since I have fios tv I need to use their router. I can buy it for $200, I 'm thinking about it, one concern, given how fast technology changes, is what do I do when this router becomes obsolete?
    Dennis

They are actually about to introduce a new version of the gateway, Dennis, but it's been slow in coming. That said, the G1100 is a good router for most folks' use and it's not going to be "obsolete" anytime soon. I'm still using the previous version as my gateway (only for routing, not for wireless) and it's just fine and very reliable. Which means mine is, oh...about 6 years old and not needing replacement anytime soon. Some current TV features do require the newer device, but I don't use them. I have no set top boxes; only "Local TV" tuned directly by our TVs.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by dennis thompson View Post
    I spoke to Verizon today and they said since I have fios tv I need to use their router. I can buy it for $200, I 'm thinking about it, one concern, given how fast technology changes, is what do I do when this router becomes obsolete?
    Like Jim says, you don't need a Verizon gateway if you don't have Verizon TV. As far as obsolescence, the usual limitation is manufacturer support. The software that controls various device functions inevitably contains flaws. Significant flaws are fixed by the manufacturer as they're discovered but once a model is discontinued support for that model is also discontinued after some period of time. There could be security exploits that use those unpatched flaws. There are 3rd party firmwares that replace the no-longer-supported manufacturer firmware but that gets a bit techy.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    There are 3rd party firmwares that replace the no-longer-supported manufacturer firmware but that gets a bit techy.
    Unfortunately, there are, as far as I know, no third party firmware solutions for the VZ Gateways...they are locked down.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Unfortunately, there are, as far as I know, no third party firmware solutions for the VZ Gateways...they are locked down.
    At one time you could find 3rd party firmware for the older VZ routers -- if you didn't care about MoCA function. I seem to recall the SDK for the MoCA chip used in the pre G1100 routers was around $300,000.

I don't recall if there was anything for the Actiontec devices...perhaps there was. I've actually been using a Rev-I for a long time now (the last release of that unit before the G1100 took its place), but it's going back to VZ. 'Did the "cord cutting" thing this week to just Internet and they actually want the old router back that was a replacement of a replacement and "free". No problem. They can have it.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by dennis thompson View Post
    Verizon charges me $12/month for my wireless router, I can buy one for about $100. The question is: can I, who know next to nothing about computers, install the new one myself?
    Thanks
    From economic POV it looks to own your router is the best bid until you have some problem when you need a professional's help.

As stated previously it very easy to setup and maintain a router as they did not demand an expert level to use them at typical applications but I suggest to go to your own router only if you can count with second level support from a friend, neighbor or relative with more skills on the subject, just in case...

Osvaldo, if he buys the VZ router (which he can do, either new or used) he's going to have exactly the same support from Verizon as he would with a rental. In fact, folks who own their own routers that are different cannot get the same level of support from Verizon...they will not troubleshoot beyond the ONT (optical interface) unless the customer has the G1100 or the previous Actiontec Rev I.
    --