Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should I buy my wireless router

Blog Entries

Should I buy my wireless router

Verizon charges me $12/month for my wireless router, I can buy one for about $100. The question is: can I, who know next to nothing about computers, install the new one myself?
    Thanks
    Dennis

New password will be on the back of the new router. You can change it to something else. Other than that, plug, and play. You can get pretty good ones for less than $100, but in any case, even the 69 dollar ones will be better than they one costing you 10 or 12 bucks a month.

3. Is it just for the router or is it for the router and the modem? If your ISP requires you to "rent" their modem there may not be a lot you can do. If it is just the router then go on amazon and buy one.

I got a used one from ebay for $15.00. Still using it 2 years later. Check there too.
    You only need 2 tools in life. If it's supposed to move and doesn't... use WD40. If it moves and shouldn't... use duct tape.

Blog Entries
    I have Verizon DSL and only have their modem. I use my own router.

If you are on FiOS, you can buy your own router. If you have TV with STBs, you still need the VZ gateway, but you can purchase it new from Verizon or used from a third party to avoid the monthly rental. However, if you buy used, you need to be absolutely sure it has Verizon firmware (software) on it and not Frontier firmware, even if it says Verizon on the case. When VZ sold off a bunch of territories to Frontier, Frontier created their own firmware and once it's installed on the gateway, there's no going back to VZ firmware.

If you have Verizon DSL, you can use your own devices, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Also, you may need to call Verizon and have them do some magic on their side so they recognize the router. That is at least what the Mediacom people told me when I asked about getting my own modem. I already had the router and wifi disabled on their modem-wifi-router combo because I use my own router/firewall widget and have my own wifi transmitters.

Blog Entries
    I had a pretty good Arris router/modem from Comcast that was costing me $13 per month. I was getting nearly 200 mbps on the wifi. In July I replaced it with a Netgear Nighthawk dual band AC1900 that performs as well. I got it from BestBuy, internet order, for $176. It is not on Comcast's approved list, but BestBuy said it will work with most major providers including Comcast. It will be paid for in less than 14 months. Plug and play.
    NOW you tell me...

Short answer - yes. You'll save $144/year on your bill.

Long answer - if you are on Verizon FIOS, take a look in your basement at the Verizon panel, the one that beeps every few years to replace the giant backup battery inside (tip: amazon that battery for $12 instead of the $65+ that verizon wants for it). You'll find that box has a coax cable connection for your FIOS boxes and your modem, and it has a Cat-6 connector. You can simply run a Cat-6 wire up to a hub (and thus can wire to any room you like) or to a wireless router. No need for FIOS hardware at all, and the Cat-6 connection is faster than the coax run to the modem. You do not need any special modem at all if you use the Cat-6 connection. All that hardware is the FIOS panel, the modem is actually redundant.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Seemann View Post
    Also, you may need to call Verizon and have them do some magic on their side so they recognize the router.
    Not required with FiOS. Worse case, there is a short delay to get the public IP address if one forgets to release the IP on the previous gateway router. FiOS doesn't use a "Modem"...it's a fiber optic service to the home and there is an Ethernet connection from the optical network termination box to the router.

----
    William, VZ hasn't had a battery backup for the ONT for awhile now and no longer has replacements for those on older ONTs. A small UPS is the preferred replacement, but it's true that one can get a replacement battery from Amazon as you state.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 09-20-2019 at 9:11 AM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Seemann View Post
    Also, you may need to call Verizon and have them do some magic on their side so they recognize the router. That is at least what the Mediacom people told me when I asked about getting my own modem.
    Not in my experience. Verizon seems to use pretty standards compliant hardware. Plug it in and it works. I did away with Verizon routers and set top boxes, replacing them with TiVO. The only rental I have from Verizon is the Cable Card, that's unavoidable for TV as far as I can tell. Verizon uses something called MoCA which I've found very useful. I did have to enable the ethernet port on the ONT (optical network terminal - black box with a bunch of lights). Then I bought a pair of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Adap...s%2C144&sr=8-3

It uses existing RG6 coax for ethernet so I now have pretty fast ethernet at each cable TV outlet. The second Motorola adapter feeds a switch that has my desktop PC and other ethernet connected stuff. I'm not a fan of WiFi where's a practical alternative. It's worked out well for me and I figured the payback vs. rented Verizon stuff was less than 3 years. Of course if the stuff breaks it's on me vs. swapping out the device with Verizon but that's part of the calculation.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Not required with FiOS. Worse case, there is a short delay to get the public IP address if one forgets to release the IP on the previous gateway router. FiOS doesn't use a "Modem"...it's a fiber optic service to the home and there is an Ethernet connection from the optical network termination box to the router.
    The black box they rent you for $12 is a wireless access point that will accept the coax connection from the ONT. Correct, it is not a modem, but that doesn't stop them from calling it that when you order up your service. It is preferable to avoid the coax and use the Cat-6 ethernet connection at the ONT.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    William, VZ hasn't had a battery backup for the ONT for awhile now and no longer has replacements for those on older ONTs. A small UPS is the preferred replacement, but it's true that one can get a replacement battery from Amazon as you state.
    Ok. Not everyone has a spankin' new ONT, and those older ones use the batteries. Who knows what the OP has.

After reading the replies if Dennis wasn't confused before he probably is now
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Weber View Post
    After reading the replies if Dennis wasn't confused before he probably is now
    As I was reading this, that is Exactly what I was thinking😊
    Dennis

The bottom line sir is that you do not need that $12 item. They rip you on that. All you need is a $5 wire and a wireless access point of your choice.

Quote Originally Posted by dennis thompson View Post
    As I was reading this, that is Exactly what I was thinking