Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Should I buy my wireless router

Quote Originally Posted by dennis thompson View Post
    As I was reading this, that is Exactly what I was thinking
    Is this just internet that you get from them or is it a bundle with voice that goes through it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Seemann View Post
    Also, you may need to call Verizon and have them do some magic on their side so they recognize the router.
    I didn't have to do that with our new router with verizon DSL.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    Is this just internet that you get from them or is it a bundle with voice that goes through it.
    its a bundle, internet,phone, TV
    Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by William Chain View Post
    The black box they rent you for $12 is a wireless access point that will accept the coax connection from the ONT. Correct, it is not a modem, but that doesn't stop them from calling it that when you order up your service. It is preferable to avoid the coax and use the Cat-6 ethernet connection at the ONT.
    VZ no longer uses COAX between the ONT and the router for installs, but for speeds under 100 mpbs, COAX via MOCA is supported for existing customers with older setups. The black box you mention, which they call a gateway, is a layer 3 router with an integrated wireless access point. I've never heard or seen VZ personnel refer to it as a "modem"...only consumers because that's what they are used to from DSL or cable Internet services. There are heated arguments about this very thing in the communication focused forums. But no matter...the device in question can be rented or owned. Folks with Internet-only FiOS can pretty much use any router they choose to use. The VZ gateway is only required for TV subscribers who want to use set top boxes and have access to the guide as well as for certain specific mobility features. There are a few people with extensive networking experience who have found ways around some of that, but not all, especially with FiOS One.

I personally just use an older Actiontec Rev-I for the primary router and a Velops mesh system with four nodes to provide wireless to our property. No set top boxes, but we do have Local TV because there are issues with a few stations for OTA reception including the one I watch in the morning for news. We still have a phone number, but its value is deprecated since we all have wireless numbers...and now that I've switched alarm companies, the "land line" will go away in a month or three once I renegotiate our FiOS service.

Not everyone has a spankin' new ONT, and those older ones use the batteries. Who knows what the OP has.

True. While there are indeed some of the older ONTs still out there and in use, the number has dwindled considerably due to failure replacements as well as replacements when accounts turn over or when someone requests conversion to higher speeds. The last one I had with the battery backup feature) went bye-bye about three years ago and it was actually the second ONT. The first one was BPON and also fried itself one day. For that older one, the BBU was a completely separate component. The second one was the Alcatel/Lucent unit with the internal battery. I went through three batteries but already had everything on a UPS because the VZ provided backup only supported phone; not Internet or TV. For a short period of time a few years ago, they were providing battery backup with a pack of D-cell batteries, believe it or not, rather than the nice rechargeable setups that came before it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by William Chain View Post
    The bottom line sir is that you do not need that $12 item. They rip you on that. All you need is a $5 wire and a wireless access point of your choice.
    A FiOS subscriber needs more than just a "wireless access point". They need a router to connect to the service (layer 3). If it also has an integrated wireless access point, as many do, great. But the router is not optional. The source of the router, however, is. It can be rented from VZ or purchased by the consumer. For long term use, purchase is more cost effective for sure.
    --

I hope someone understands some of the comments in this thread but they are above me and many. Some want relatively easy solutions that we can implement.

The OP said that he is not good with computers. Some of us need a translator for the replies.

Here's the simplest answer to the OP's question: No, you are not required to rent the VZ gateway. You can purchase your own, either new from Verizon or used from a third party, but one must be careful when buying used to insure that the software is Verizons and not Frontier's. If you don't have TV, you can buy any router you want. If you do have TV, you generally need the VZ gateway, new or used, because it's require for certain TV functions and features.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Here's the simplest answer to the OP's question: No, you are not required to rent the VZ gateway. You can purchase your own, either new from Verizon or used from a third party, but one must be careful when buying used to insure that the software is Verizons and not Frontier's. If you don't have TV, you can buy any router you want. If you do have TV, you generally need the VZ gateway, new or used, because it's require for certain TV functions and features.
    True about the VZN/Frontier firmware. I bought a router off Ebay like that, was able to return it zero cost. The seller claimed Verizon firmware therefore misrepresented. Another possible source of confusion in this thread - Verizon offers 2 services, FiOS and DSL. They're very different beasties.

Quote Originally Posted by dennis thompson View Post
    Verizon charges me $12/month for my wireless router, I can buy one for about $100. The question is: can I, who know next to nothing about computers, install the new one myself?
    Thanks
    yes buy it and they are easy to install or ask some teenager for help.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    I didn't have to do that with our new router with verizon DSL.
    You wouldn't likely need to do it with a DSL modem, since it is a Dedicated Service Line, they know that internet is supposed to go down that phone line and it is controlled at the switching station. On a cable modem, all the modems hook up to the main cable line, and the cable company needs to know the modem's address to allow traffic to go through it.

Also note that a modem and a router aren't the same thing, even though they frequently are packaged together. The modem allows you to access the interweb via cable, DSL, phone line, satellite, etc, It allows your Local Area Network (LAN) to talk to the service provider's Wide Area Network (WAN). A router gives the devices on your side unique (to you) addresses so that more than one device can talk to your modem. It is often (but not always) combined with a switch (hard wired and or wifi) that allows the devices to physically or wifi-edly talk to the router.

In my home network, the modem, router, switches, and wifi transmitter are all separate devices. My security-paranoid computer-nerd brother-in-law designed it. The additional non-security benefit is that it allowed me to use better and faster components than the all-in-one device from the cable company, which quickly got overwhelmed by 3 kids and a Netflix addicted wife

Nothing technical here to confuse anyone......

Just be sure to get it in writing if/when you turn back the Verizon equipment & put that written proof somewhere you can lay your hands on it in years to come.
    my cable modem went out once & rather than wait a week for Roadrunner to generate a service call to come out and tell me it was fried & order up a new one, I went out and bought my own Toshiba. Years later when I dumped Roadrunner, they billed me $199 for the cable modem I failed to return. (the fried one they said they didn't want at the time). I had to give them the Toshiba I'd paid for to shut them up.
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

I am in the same situation as the OP. We have Fios for internet and phone, no TV. My adult grand daughter just ordered that Nighthawk to replace the Verizon/Frontier router, and we have been trying to find where the modem is. Apparently we don't have one, which sounds good to me.

We do have the battery backup thingie in the garage behind some shelving. It has been beeping for a couple years now, and Frontier came out and said it needed a new battery, and ordered one for us, with no charge. Naturally it was on our bill the next month, and we got them to remove it because it never came. After much discussion they removed the charge. It came the next day, and is still sitting in the box waiting for them to install it. Waiting over two years so far.

They told us the battery was a backup, in case the power goes out. The longest the power has gone out in the 14 years we have lived here is a couple hours, and I figure we can do without fios for that long. It still beeps occasionally though.

We are supposed to have a speed of 200+ here, yesterday the GD checked and it was 82. Hope the Nighthawk helps, because both the Daughter and grand daughter tutor dyslexic kids both here and on line.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post

We are supposed to have a speed of 200+ here, yesterday the GD checked and it was 82. Hope the Nighthawk helps, because both the Daughter and grand daughter tutor dyslexic kids both here and on line.
    Whenever my speed seems to drop, I just power cycle the equipment and that seems to help. although I just did a speedtest and was getting speeds that I am paying for. And that was on WiFi, not ethernet cable. 180 down, 23 up. But I have Comcast over copper. https://www.speedtest.net/result/8623666379.png
    NOW you tell me...

Rick, the battery backup uint for the ONT (optical network termination box) only provides power to the phone line, anyway. If you want the beeping to go away, just install the battery. It doesn't take a technician to do that and is normally considered a customer maintenance item.
    --

Thanks, Jim

Good info, as I did not know it was for the phone only, and not the computer. They installed it in a ridiculous location, behind some large shelving units, and when they wanted to check it the first time, the whole mess had to be moved.

I know I can replace it, but so far I have had no need to go to all the trouble. I would get rid of the land line, but need a phone number to use that does not go to my cell phone. Telemarketers, etc.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.