Thread: Used Jet 20" Planer Fair Price?

Used Jet 20" Planer Fair Price?

What would be a fair price for a used Jet 20" planer in good condition?

Straight knife, $700-$1k ish?

The ones I see here go for $1000-2000. $1600 seems to be a average asking price. just in town today and the Windsor plywood store in Lethbridge has one new G.I. left at $3500 new.

I'm looking at a straight knife model. Just checked the cost on the helical cutter head replacement. Ouch! Curious why the helical head Jet model has a 5hp motor while the straight knife model is only 3hp. Does the helical cutter require more power?

Generally more HP for a helical.
    I sold my 20” jet for $500 but I always way under price my machines.

Quote Originally Posted by John Sincerbeaux View Post
    Generally more HP for a helical.
    I sold my 20” jet for $500 but I always way under price my machines.
    If you don't mind me asking what did you get to replace it if anything?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mathews View Post
    If you don't mind me asking what did you get to replace it if anything?
    Since you asked..... a Martin T45.

Why do some folks think that JET machines are worth so much? I've used a lot of JET tools over the years (never owned any) and never thought they were anything special or really any different than Grizzly with a different paint job...Seem to be lightly built on the whole yet I generally see them priced edging into the territory of vintage machines that will out last and out perform them 5:1

Am I missing something?
    Still waters run deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Mitchell View Post
    Why do some folks think that JET machines are worth so much? I've used a lot of JET tools over the years (never owned any) and never thought they were anything special or really any different than Grizzly with a different paint job...Seem to be lightly built on the whole yet I generally see them priced edging into the territory of vintage machines that will out last and out perform them 5:1

Am I missing something?
    I think Jet is pretty close to Grizzly, maybe a hair higher quality. One advantage to Jet is that they're sold at retail so you can look and touch before buying plus some local support.

Quote Originally Posted by John Sincerbeaux View Post
    Since you asked..... a Martin T45.

How on earth do you go from a Jet to a Martin T45 in one step? There wasnt an SCMI or something inbetween? That would be like me selling my Ford Focus hatchback and buying an M5 tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    I think Jet is pretty close to Grizzly, maybe a hair higher quality. One advantage to Jet is that they're sold at retail so you can look and touch before buying plus some local support.
    On the other hand, IMHO, the advantage of Grizzly is the reasonable price & availability of Grizzly spare parts.

The parts are likely interchangeable.

I have the Jet 20".. at the time , I compared the Griz and Jet. I do not remember the details, and of course it was so
    long ago, the details may have changed.

The Jet had a little ridge to prevent boards from being slid into the posts of the planer.
    The Jet had larger cast iron infeed/outfeed wings.
    Jet had free shipping at the time. Grizz had a frieght charge. This gave the Jet a slight price advantage (At the time, I don't know current prices).

This is not to bash Grizzly, but when you are comparing tools, there are some differences. It is hard to find the info, but worth researching.

Blog Entries
    I have a DEWALT 734 and have had it for a lot of years. It is on a table in the shop and when not in use is covered with the box it was delivered in.

Replacement blades are available.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/DEWALT-W-15...Planer/1061487

To eliminate end snipe, I apply vertical pressure on the end of the board when starting the cut and I apply vertical pressure on the end as it is coming out of the planer.

I bought one of the old blue colored Jet 20" four post planers 5-6 years ago for $500 used off cl. I bought the Byrd head during a Grizzly sale. I've since added Grizzly cast iron infeed and outfeed tables. I have around $1500 in it.
    I am really happy with it.