Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sphere jigs

Sphere jigs

I have been thinking about investing in a sphere cutting jig…the one by chefware kits or carters jig..can anyone tell me which is the better of the two and which one is the easiest to set up…I know carter is way more expensive than the chefware jig…any info would help…

Would you consider building one? Call me cheap, but if I can make a jig or fixture that works and saves me money, that's what I do. I made a sphere jig for right around $100.00. That included the material and a little bit of machining. It's been a while since I've used it but I think I incorporated features from both the Carter and Vermec jigs. If interested I can provide more info and pictures.

yes I would be interested if it not much trouble,,,thank you

Richard, did you post anything on how you built your jig? I would only be interested in making my own, not buying one.

thanks.

I have the Carter and it's worth every penny. The micro adjustment is really nice. You can also rotate the cutting head around the back and use a banjo to do any hand work you want. The cutter holder can be side rotated to either side to do a shear cut in both directions. It's a wonderful tool and very well engineered.

I made this poor man's version of an unusual sphere jig after watching a demonstration video by Larry Marley. Previously I had attempted to build one from box store hardware but it wasn't rigid enough. The Marley type was constructed from 1/2" Baltic Birch ply and is surprisingly rigid and stable. The sphere shown in the pics is 3.5" dia. It requires light cuts and yields excellent surface finish.

If one's budget allows, the commercially available jigs are well made however a much less expensive DIY alternate can suffice quite well.

Marley Style Sphere Jig 1.jpg

Marley Style Sphere Jig 3.jpg
    Dick Mahany.

Made a home made one from Aluminum but eventually saved enough to buy a Vermec and have never looked back. Yes my home made on worked fine but did vibrate a bit and was a more difficult to adjust for different sizes. I would recommend that if you do make one you incorporate a thread advance of some form. Making extremely fine cuts and adjustments easily I find make the process a lot more enjoyable.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Blair View Post
    Made a home made one from Aluminum but eventually saved enough to buy a Vermec and have never looked back. Yes my home made on worked fine but did vibrate a bit and was a more difficult to adjust for different sizes. I would recommend that if you do make one you incorporate a thread advance of some form. Making extremely fine cuts and adjustments easily I find make the process a lot more enjoyable.
    I have the Vermec too. It is incredibly solid, heavy, and well made. I can't imagine improving on it.

JKJ

Jeff,
    Sorry for not getting back sooner. Here are a couple of pictures of the jig I made.IMG_0944.jpgI'll send more.
    Attached Images Attached Images

It's been a while since posting here and I could not figure out how to add text after adding a photo. I will try and explain each of the 5 pictures above. The first is for centering the jig under the piece to be turned. It just fits over the pivot bolt temporarily. The second pic shows the stop collar for centering the cutter height. I made cutters with both carbide and HHS, thus the need to be able to adjust the height for each. Third pic is a carbide cutter. Fourth pic is the bottom of the jig. The thin plate centers it in the bed ways and the thicker piece with two flats and rounded ends locks the jig in place. The last pic shows two nylon washers above and below the pivot arm that make for smooth swinging of the pivot arm. I checked my list of costs for this and the total was $110.74 for everything. If interested, I can give a list of parts and cost.
    Before building mine I watched a you tube video by Piazza Studios on his sphere jig and followed some of his ideas.
    Last edited by Richard Madden; 09-21-2019 at 9:30 PM.

Here's two I turned using the jig.

fullsizeoutput_28d.jpgfullsizeoutput_28e.jpg
    Last edited by Richard Madden; 09-21-2019 at 9:52 PM.

Really nicer Richard. My jig was quite similar to yours and it appears we both took advise from the same sphere turner. The two examples could have come from my shop! Here are a couple of shots of mine. As you can see I made a threaded advance system.
    IMG_2651.jpgIMG_2649.jpg
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Jeff - I have one of the Chefware Kits jigs that I don't use. I would be willing to sell it if you are interested.
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Mahany View Post
    I made this poor man's version of an unusual sphere jig after watching a demonstration video by Larry Marley. Previously I had attempted to build one from box store hardware but it wasn't rigid enough. The Marley type was constructed from 1/2" Baltic Birch ply and is surprisingly rigid and stable. The sphere shown in the pics is 3.5" dia. It requires light cuts and yields excellent surface finish.

If one's budget allows, the commercially available jigs are well made however a much less expensive DIY alternate can suffice quite well.

Marley Style Sphere Jig 1.jpg

Marley Style Sphere Jig 3.jpg
    I build one very much like this and it works quite well. I use a 1/2" square bar with a carbide cutter. Couldn't have had more than $15.00 in it less the cutter.