Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Electric hoist

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Do you really trust any harbor freight stuff to hold 500 pounds over your head without breaking or stripping the gears and letting the load fall on your head?
    Bill D
    If you were using it everyday,for multiple lifts per day, or per hour, than no. Would I trust it to perform the occasional lift from the floor into a P/U bed? Yes, I would. I wouldn't stand under a load though.

Jason
    The length of your pendant cable is probably the maximum length it can be for the gauge of wire running through it.
    Many, many years ago,I watched a pendant cable catch on fire and act like a fuse. Thee person had installed a much longer cable, of the same gauge wire, and the current caused the cable to act just like a fuse. Bigger problem was that it happened over an open nuclear reactor cavity full of water!
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    You did. With only a 10 foot pendant the load can drop and bounce onto your foot. It does not have to hit your head to hurt you. Any thing lifted off the ground can cause damage when it comes down. My statement was really just a general warning about relying on anything HF sells.
    Or buying used critical equipment in general. I bought a used welder that was wired wrong so the metal case was not grounded it was sitting at 120 volts all the time the plug was in the outlet.
    Bil lD
    Uh, no, Bill. What I said was that I believed HFT kept the control pendant short "to help prevent people [read: IDIOTS] from lifting loads high above themselves."

Of course, HFT also fills every instruction manual with 30 pages of helpful revelations such as
    DO NOT WELD WHILE SWIMMING!!!
    and
    CAUTION: POWER SAWS CAN CUT YOU!!!
    and
    DO NOT USE THIS FOR OVERHEAD LIFTING!!!

In other words, yes. Of course. Agreed. You're right. Only an idiot walks under an unsecured load, regardless whether the hoist was badged by HFT or Festool.
    And once the load is secured, it doesn't matter whether the hoist is badged by HFT or Festool or Skookum, since at that point the hoist isn't doing anything.
    I think it's safe to say that we already knew that.
    (Not that it's really relevant to this discussion, since neither the OP with his boat lift, nor I with my laddervator, are doing any overhead lifting.)
    But thanks for the helpful reminder.
    Last edited by Jacob Reverb; 10-02-2019 at 8:14 AM.

Following up on my older thread to acknowledge some good advice about just using a chain hoist. A Harrington half ton unit worked great.

E55B9CD1-9498-4DFE-B874-550C6E3A22E0.jpgAD102177-C179-417A-965A-03D79781165B.jpg