Thread: Supermax drum sander 16-32

Supermax drum sander 16-32

Considering purchasing one of the above. I'll use it primarily on thin,prior resawn hardwood that would spatter if sent through a planer so probably just 80 grit and finish sanding with a Festool sander. I'm using a Lenox tri master for resawing so the surfaces are fairly smooth to start. It will be connected to a dust collection system.

Any user comments or experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Kent

I own one. It works pretty well, if you are careful. Just don't take too big a bite at a time. If your pieces are not exactly the same thickness, you'll have to be careful not to burn it by taking too big a bite. Pieces under 3" or so can get stuck in it and will be ruined. Placing them between 2 longer pieces helps. The folding extensions and casters are worth it. Fairly small footprint. Dust collection is good. Paper changes are easy.

Thanks Tom. My concern is that that I would be replacing it with something similar to the Delta X which I was not a fan of. Alternatives such as the Supermax 25 x2 (5 hp) and the Jet 22-44 (3 hp) are twice as much $ but would be beasts in my small shop.

If the footprint were any bigger, I simply couldn't own one. This one, with the tables folded down occupies a space of about 18 x 24". I have mine tucked in next to my table saw right side and simply pivot it around when I need to use it. Rolls around super easy; the easiest of all my tools. I have not used it for pieces wider than 16" yet.

I haven't sanded anything thinner than 1/4" thick yet,but my 16-32 works great. Take the time to set it up accurately and it'll do a great job for you. I have sent several wider pieces thru and they came out with no discernible line between the sides.

I have a 19/38 and use it regularly for wood as thin as 1/16" or a bit less. It does fine with that. I took mine off the factory stand almost immediately and made a 3/4" plywood cabinet on casters to go under it, I like having the storage space and it gets the sander up to a comfortable height for me. I still have the stand, maybe it'll come in handy for something someday. Mine has the Intellisand box which slows down the speed automatically to prevent burning, this makes it very handy. A lot of what I have to sand is glued up rings of wood so the width being sanded is highly varied, and the controller slows down the rings as they enter and exit and speeds them up in the middle where there's less wood.
    Zach