Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First time shooting paint

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Kane View Post
    Well, that was an enormous fail. Even after thinning the paint with the M-1 additive, it still sprayed like crap. It looked like I was dipping s paint brush in paint and then flicking it at the shelves. It also made a complete mess and was a pain to clean the gun out. Not nearly as bad as the oil paint from before, but still not like cleaning out a clear finish.

The strange part is, the paint seemed pretty thin when I stirred it and let it run off the paint stick. Very poor results with the Fuji mini mite 4. Looks like im brushing it on.
    What was the enormous fail? You got plenty of suggestions, so it is not clear what paint you chose to try.

The fail was the inability of the fuji system to atomize the paint. Even after thinning the paint considerably, it still didnt spray at all. I might try the lacquer options or milkpaint in the future, but for this small project, brushing it on is just fine.

The only thing I know that will spray a flawless finish, using Latex without thinning, is an airless rig using FFLP (fine finish low pressure) tips. You can do pretty good with a standard airless rig, but the extra atomization of the FF tips, at the lower pressure, makes a noticeable difference. My opinion is that it's wishful thinking to think you can thin latex, and be able to get a really good job. You might be able to get a pretty good job on horizontal surfaces.

Blog Entries
    The fail was the inability of the fuji system to atomize the paint. Even after thinning the paint considerably, it still didnt spray at all. I might try the lacquer options or milkpaint in the future, but for this small project, brushing it on is just fine.
    Wrong paint, or more thinning.

The fuji mm4 will spray bm advance perfectly. Ive even spray GF milk Paint. That stuff is about as thin as tar in the can

That said i prefer tinted precat lacquer

Jared, I have found that the GF "milk paint" is less viscous than the Target EM6500 in a noticeable way. Both spray very nicely with the gun I got from Homestead Finishing with the 3M PPS pressurized disposable cup with minimal use of extender and no thinning with water. Some guns just don't like to atomize some finishes, unfortunately, and I'm not familiar with the Fuji setup. I didn't get great results with Advance with my old lower end conversion gun, but wouldn't hesitate to spray it with my current gun if it were the right product. I can spray SW ProClassic just fine with it and that's pretty thick stuff, too!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I assume you have the valve at the air hose opened all the way.

What nozzle tip/aircap size are you using?

Well, that was an enormous fail. Even after thinning the paint with the M-1 additive, it still sprayed like crap. It looked like I was dipping s paint brush in paint and then flicking it at the shelves. It also made a complete mess and was a pain to clean the gun out. Not nearly as bad as the oil paint from before, but still not like cleaning out a clear finish.

The strange part is, the paint seemed pretty thin when I stirred it and let it run off the paint stick. Very poor results with the Fuji mini mite 4. Looks like im brushing it on.

Mini 4 is a pretty good turbine. Should have no problem spraying. You have a Fuji gun I assume ?

Which needle/air cap is installed ? What needles do you have.

Did you perform a viscosity test with the paint from a ford cup ? What did it tell you ?

M-1 isn't really a thinner.

My guess is that you have too small a needle in the gun for the paint you chose. You tried to force too thick a liquid through too small a hole. Your turbine is not the problem.