Thread: sharpening scapers

sharpening scapers

I am attempting to learn how to sharpen scrapers and need diamonds stones to true up the edges. Just wondering what grit would be the best if I decide to go with diamonds to do this?

Blog Entries

Joe, I use a worn 600 grit Eze-lap diamond stone. That's probably closer to 2000 grit.

Article on sharpening technique here: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Woodwor...29Scraper.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Cowan View Post
    I am attempting to learn how to sharpen scrapers and need diamonds stones to true up the edges. Just wondering what grit would be the best if I decide to go with diamonds to do this?
    I use the blue Extra Fine Eze-Lap paddle hones on the sides, the red Fine on the edges.
    hones.gif

I mostly sharpen curved scrapers but these work as well on flat scrapers.

Christophe Schwarz and Michael Peckovich (Fine Woodworking) both have great articles on sharpening scrapers that are very clear and give a lot of direction which have helped me.

Blog Entries
    Derek's article is excellent, though I must admit I use a file most of the time on card scrapers. The real trick for me was when I realized I was applying too much pressure when turning the burr. On a 1-10 scale with one being no pressure and 10 be full weight, I shoot for a 2 or a 3. If you can feel more than the slightest burr on the edge when you are done, you used too much pressure.
    Andrew Gibson
    Program Manger and Resident Instructor
    Florida School Of Woodwork

This is a very good book on the subject: http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...72,43091,32991

That + practice = sharp card scraper. Practice being probably the bigger part of the puzzle.